Mid Level Swimmers That Will Eat Feeder Fish

MPWaller

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2017
Hello, I am currently cycling a 55 that my two bichir, which were previously kept in a ten gallon, I finally figured out how dumb that was, so please don't give me hate, and I was wondering what mid level swimmers would fit in a 55 and eat feeder fish, it would be a plus if they could school in schools of 3

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
Hello, I am currently cycling a 55 that my two bichir, which were previously kept in a ten gallon, I finally figured out how dumb that was, so please don't give me hate, and I was wondering what mid level swimmers would fit in a 55 and eat feeder fish, it would be a plus if they could school in schools of 3
None of the schooling fish I know of that can live in a 55 will eat feeders. The only thing I can thing of off the top of my head are large cichlids, datnoids, knifefish, with the only of those you can keep in a 55 being cichlids. My Green Terror was raised on guppies, and he's a mid level swimmer. They're fairly common so you shouldn't have trouble finding one.

It would be better for the Polypterus that you feed pellets, tilapia, and shrimp. Most fish you keep with them should be able to eat the pellets, and possibly the tilapia and shrimp depending on their size.

Which species of Polypterus do you have? Not all species would be okay in a 55, and it's still cramped for the species that can live in one (although props to you for upgrading).

GamerChick5567

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2016
Tustin, CA
I second some sort of medium sized cichlid. Perhaps a group of convicts would be a good choice if you get some of the same sex. They should swim all over the tank. Females would be the best, they get bright orange when they are ready to breed and any eggies that are laid unfertilized (they will do that sometimes even with no male) will still be a good food source if the bichirs find them. Females only get about 4" max, and that's big for one in my experience. I think a breeding pair would beat on the poor bichirs though, wouldn't try that until you can get a 100+ gallon so they have more space to form a territory.

I hope you are breeding your own feeders too, or at least quarantining any you get from the store.

:D

MPWaller

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2017
K, thanks for the info, green terror is out of the question, cichlids are still possible.
I have two 6 and a 1/2 inch Polypterus Senegalus, they get 12 inches, but mine are sadly probably stunted, I would have got a bigger tank, but room and parents would probably not allow, plus I had to pay for most of my tank and stand, plus everything that goes in it, so it was pretty expensive for me.

Reactions: GamerChick5567

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
K, thanks for the info, green terror is out of the question, cichlids are still possible.
I have two 6 and a 1/2 inch Polypterus Senegalus, they get 12 inches, but mine are sadly probably stunted, I would have got a bigger tank, but room and parents would probably not allow, plus I had to pay for most of my tank and stand, plus everything that goes in it, so it was pretty expensive for me.
If you said it's expensive then you would stay away from live feeders fish because it would cost everything you're owning, just because of diseases that commonly a bonus from using feeders fish :)

MPWaller

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2017
Wow, I wrote a response to that last post, but it didn't do it, I forgot most of it, but here's what I know

I get my feeder fish from a privately owned business and my fish have been eating them for many years.

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
Wow, I wrote a response to that last post, but it didn't do it, I forgot most of it, but here's what I know

I get my feeder fish from a privately owned business and my fish have been eating them for many years.
It's fine if you have a trusted source of live feeder but caution still needed, it's only take 1 bad fish to ruin everything :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store