Getting my Jurs off live (guppies)

herman moorr

Piranha
MFK Member
May 7, 2016
My small one is accepting hikari carnivore pellets along with my tig. They also eat cut fish. With my false he has eaten from my fingers from the beginning and he likes to sit on driftwood in the current. One day I just dumped so pellets in front of his face and he ate some and I've done that many times until he ate those fully and not spitting out. With cut fish i just wait until he is enjoying current and offer from holding with fingers in front of him and it's grabbed most of the time. I don't know how tig came to eating pellets. Maybe from other fish in with him ?? Either way I'm impressed But that's my bit on my false tig and tig eating habits

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Thanks, mate.

My jurs don't take pellets but I don't offer good pellet in their tank. They ignore catfish farm pellets and love cut fish and that's enough for me. They get all fish parts and sometimes whole.

Now my larger 5 tigs all turned onto the cheap pellet as of ~1-1.5 years ago without any effort on my part. I keep throwing in fish with pellets and they pick and choose what they want. They have been only wanting pellets, rarely both, after the initial growth on cut fish.

To the little 5 tigs I only offer cut fish still.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Individual mug shots of all 9 jurs and a full tank shot. They like perching on their pelvic fins at all levels in the tank, sitting like chickens in a coup:

100_7864.JPG 100_7865.JPG 100_7866.JPG 100_7867.JPG 100_7868.JPG 100_7869.JPG 100_7870.JPG 100_7871.JPG 100_7872.JPG 100_7873.JPG

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Had an ~2x spike in hardness over a week and lost 4 jurs over the following weeks / a month. The beginning of problems coincided with the hardness increase.

If the hardness wasn't directly what did them in, it could have been some pathogen that their immune system couldn't handle in harder water.

Of course, one of the four was Chix's and my favorite (the damage was just pre- and post mortum, it had nothing to do with the cause of death):

Brachie, jur, best, dead.JPG

• Sad
Reactions: Matteus

Dloks

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2011
in a car
Hey Viktor have you been able to get your juru off live yet? I had a effective method that worked for me and my brother and some other people I used a small stick (wooden chopstick) and put a piece of shrimp on the end and shoved it infront of his face. He gobbled them up every single time. Eventually he'd just scavenge the ground for food.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Hey Viktor have you been able to get your juru off live yet? I had a effective method that worked for me and my brother and some other people I used a small stick (wooden chopstick) and put a piece of shrimp on the end and shoved it infront of his face. He gobbled them up every single time. Eventually he'd just scavenge the ground for food.
I appreciate the tip very much.

This thread has two parts. The initial part, that's ~4-5 pages, where I had been weaning my jurs off live - that was from 3-4 years ago.

The second part started this year, where I am just talking about anything jur-related happening in my care.

What a shame! Does your water quality fluctuate alot then? Here in the uk the water is very stable and i think helps with keeping losses down to a minimum
I am on a well and make my own water - 85% RO water mixed with 15% raw well water. Sometimes I may not mix them right and not notice timely. Everyday we make and consume about 10,000 US gal of this mixed water for continuous water change.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
So my story titled "I can't keep some Brachyplatystoma species" lives on.

One by one over the course of the last 3 months I've been losing my jurs. Now down to 2 out of 9. The pattern is the same for all of them - eating well, starting to swim funny, getting into fights with other jurs, still eating some more, swimming more funny, stopping eating, losing color and producing excessive slime over many days and weeks, breathing heavy while tucked in a nook, and perishing.

Feels like an infection outbreak. A long and protracted one.

(The superficial damage in the photos is not the cause of death.)

Brachie, jur, dead, 6th of 9.JPG

• Sad
Reactions: Matteus

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Good night Viktor I just saw these posts about the losses. I am so sorry my friend, that breaks my heart. :(

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store