Ngt atlast eats Tilapia fillet

jordanlewis100

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2006
Kent,UK
It took me 7 months to wean my old NGT off of live I fed him river shrimp and earthworms to fatten him up a bit then gradually cut them down until he was hungry enough to have a go at chunks of fish etc after that no problem he would eat anything that hit the water lol

Reactions: headbanger_jib

jordanlewis100

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2006
Kent,UK
It took me 7 months to wean my old NGT off of live I fed him river shrimp and earthworms to fatten him up a bit then gradually cut them down until he was hungry enough to have a go at chunks of fish etc after that no problem he would eat anything that hit the water lol

banesbane

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2015
United States
These stories are encouraging - Mine still won't touch a thing except for live fish. He won't even look at live black worms or night crawlers. I've done one round of feeders with him, and will do another within the next week or so if he hasn't started taking anything else.

Anybody have tips!? What temp were you guys keeping your NGTs at when they started eating? Mine has been at ~80, adding a little bit of salt to the tank...

Thoughts? This has been going on about 2.5 months.

sunnysjourney

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2014
US
I lucked out when I got my NGT 3 years ago. He was already trained to accept dried krill. But it did take me around 6 months to get him on pellets after that. The only tip I can think of is to make sure that your NGT thinks of you as a food source. Once that happens the path from feeders to cut fish (krill to floating food sticks in my case) is pretty straightforward.

These stories are encouraging - Mine still won't touch a thing except for live fish. He won't even look at live black worms or night crawlers. I've done one round of feeders with him, and will do another within the next week or so if he hasn't started taking anything else.

Anybody have tips!? What temp were you guys keeping your NGTs at when they started eating? Mine has been at ~80, adding a little bit of salt to the tank...

Thoughts? This has been going on about 2.5 months.

banesbane

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2015
United States
The good news to update you all with is that within the last two days he has started to eat black worms and night crawlers - the bad news is that I have to have been out of the room for at least an hour it seems before they will disappear.

Any thoughts on training him to recognize me as the source of food? It's not something I've specifically had to train into any other fish, most others seem to acquire it naturally.

azura

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2011
Aros World
once they broke the vast , they will eat like there 's no tomorrow
usually like that ... at least for it and ngt

Any thoughts on training him to recognize me as the source of food? It's not something I've specifically had to train into any other fish, most others seem to acquire it naturally.
and it should have no problem to know you as food source .... my ngt always 'beg for food' everytime i walk pass the tank

Reactions: eeJamBOYan

eeJamBOYan

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2016
South East Asia
Any thoughts on training him to recognize me as the source of food?
What I did.. part of it.. Same movements in front of tank. Every. Feeding. Time.

Place hand on a specific position top of tank. Drop food. Repeat. PATIENCE.
Same process to trick them into pellets.

They should get use to your presence as a source of feed and pick up this habit. Eventually WHATEVER you drop from that specific place from top of tank will be blindly eaten.
What I successfully did to get all my SHs, Indos, CKs and African Tiger onto pellets.

Having other fish that feed aggressively do help in this process greatly.

robroy

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
BC, Canada
I marinated the food (Massivore) in with whatever the NGT was feeding on at the time.

Mine would only eat live earthworms-I cut the earthworms up and mixed them them in with chopped up market prawn and left them overnight to soak the flavours in. It started to eat the prawn soon after. I then began to cut Massivore in half and stuff it into pieces of prawn and fed him this. I then just started feeding only Massivore which again had been marinated to begin with. If I recall the whole process-from eating only live earthworms to feeding on Massivore-took about 2 weeks.

I starved a small NGT once and lost it-I'll never starve one again despite lots of people on this forum saying it's OK to do

banesbane

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2015
United States
I finally have it eating prawn and silversides! I got it eating nightcrawlers after it started accepting black worms more readily. After feeding the larger worms for a week, I began to cut MP into long strips and drop it in with the worms - eventually I phased out the worms and was only putting in the MP. It now seems to be fully on the dead food program, though is still skittish about eating while I am in the room. I feed a fair amount of frozen food to that tank anyway, so it isn't an issue to just feed a bit more to make sure he gets some. Maybe once he's good and fattened up I will try to begin converting him over to massivore...

I'm thrilled to have him out of the weeds and putting on weight though!

Reactions: sunnysjourney
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store