Catfish ideas

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
moe214 moe214 koltsixx koltsixx kno4te kno4te thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter

What sizes have you guys seen trachy trachy being offered at ? If memory serves me correct moes was 8ish and kno4te was 7ish. So om assuming they arent offered at smaller sizes ?

How long do you guys thing i would have to keep one that 10ish inches seperate from 5ish inch bolt, 3 to 5 inch s.elongatus/lima, 6inch jags (probably ok woth the trachy at this size ?)
Mine was 7inches and when it landed looks bigger. Never officially measured it. Never seen them for sale at small sizes.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
What sizes have you guys seen trachy trachy being offered at ? If memory serves me correct moes was 8ish and kno4te was 7ish. So om assuming they arent offered at smaller sizes ?
*****Right. I don't recall ever seeing them offered at under 6", usually even larger.

How long do you guys thing i would have to keep one that 10ish inches seperate from 5ish inch bolt, 3 to 5 inch s.elongatus/lima, 6inch jags (probably ok woth the trachy at this size ?
******I'd be comfortable if the bolt was about the same size as the trachy. LSN are so slim that I'd worry about trachy preying on them. 6" jaguar catfish would probably be ok.
Right now got a 4-5inch jag with my trachy and no issues. Got a false jag about same size and no prob. Got a slim and tiny 3in cocosoda catfish with the big trachy and its fine.

It has even wedged itself near the mouth of the trachy and nothing. I think I might be lucky.

Any way just to give you some size differences and what I'm able to get away with.

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
moe214 moe214 koltsixx koltsixx kno4te kno4te thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter

How long do you guys thing i would have to keep one that 10ish inches seperate from 5ish inch bolt, 3 to 5 inch s.elongatus/lima, 6inch jags (probably ok woth the trachy at this size ?)
I originally got my Trachys from Rich/Infinite Aquatics, they where around 5 inches. Trachys are rarely available and when they are it's extremely rare for them to be under 8 inches IME. The only one who I saw have them at a small size recently was Tedsfishroom who had them around 4 inches but I just checked and his website is giving me a virus warning and while his FB is active recently he seems to be documenting collecting trips not selling. I believe I've also seen them on rare occasions at around 5 inches or so on Ebay.

I'm not sure how fast Bolts grow so I can't say in regards to them. As far as Jags there can be a decent size difference because Jags are thick especially around the head. Trachy mouths seem to be built to eat tall but thin bodied fish. For instance a Silver Dollar would have to be pretty big to be comm'ed but not so much a thick fish such as an Oscar or Jag.

While it's not guaranteed I've kept them on several occasions with significantly smaller woodcats with no issue. For instance I've kept my 12 inch Trachys with 3 inch Galeatus and Gulpers with them literally sharing the same hide with no predation. While living peacefully with the woodcats those same Trachys ate 3 Severums around 5-6 inches each and all 6 of my Silver Dats which where around 4 inches each.

Sorubim it's hard to say. Even at a fairly large size they'd be potential prey of the Trachys. My Trachys surprised me when they killed my beloved Tapajos Pike and the pike was around 8 inches at the time. Pikes are strong swimmers and should've put up a great fight but still my female Trachy got the better of my female T1 Pike. How it happened I can't say for sure. I know aggression between the pikes I have makes the less dominant ones hide occasionally and I think that's when it happened. She must've run into the Trachys hide and the Trachy grabbed her. All I know is the next time I saw my pike she was sitting in my Trachys mouth like a bone in a dogs mouth. The Trachy swam around trying to use the environment to bend the pike in half so she could finish the job and swallow the pike. I saw this, intervened and retrieved the pike but the damage done was massive. My T1 didn't make it through the night in her recovery tank. Sorubim I believe are less powerful swimmers and I doubt as stubborn as a Pike Cichlid so I imagine they'd be even easier prey. The only thing that might make a difference is I don't know if Sorubim tend to hide. If they're constant swimmers and only rest by perching then with the right scaped aquarium it might be feasible to keep them together despite size difference and with minimal danger.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Agree with the above thoughts. I'd be merely concerned that one day trachy may go for what it can handle.

My bolts were about 3" when I got them, ~8" after first year, ~11" after second year.

Reactions: jaws7777

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Thx guys all good food for thought. I can either keep the trachy in a 75 gal for a while or just wait to purchase one.

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Well, the max size of the Trachy being larger than that of the lima, I wouldn't even attempt it. I think the jag and Trachy would be fine together, I've not seen Trachy come in at small sizes. I don't think I have anything different to say than what's already been said so I back them up! Lol

Also your memory serves you right. Mine was purchased as 7" but when it arrived was 8-8.5" whatever I put in its original thread on the first page.

And kolt if they ate a pike they can eat a Lima, only thing that may make it harder is the fins. But even then the Trachy's mouth is so wide and it's throat seems to match the way it engulfs food.

Last edited:
Reactions: jaws7777

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
How do you guys feel about leiarius pictus. Smaller than marms.

Would they do ok in the 30 wide tank with the bolt and jags ?

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
No. They will reach 24" easily. At that size, the span of their maxillary barbels will be 3.5'+. The barbel span exceeding tank width is a no-no. The fish will be nervous, skittish, will damage itself from darting and bumping.

They also appreciate much more room for swimming.

V victor448 can tell you much more. He is our hands-down L. pictus expert-in-residence and has kept them for decades in a variety of tanks and conditions. Going to 500 gal 8'x4' made a huge and positive difference in his pictus.

victor448

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2006
florida
No. They will reach 24" easily. At that size, the span of their maxillary barbels will be 3.5'+. The barbel span exceeding tank width is a no-no. The fish will be nervous, skittish, will damage itself from darting and bumping.

They also appreciate much more room for swimming.

V victor448 can tell you much more. He is our hands-down L. pictus expert-in-residence and has kept them for decades in a variety of tanks and conditions. Going to 500 gal 8'x4' made a huge and positive difference in his pictus.
Viktor is absolutely correct. If you want optimal conditions for L Pictus you need a foot print like Viktor mentioned and superior water quality for the fish to thrive over the long haul particularly as it grows. The key word is thrive. It will exist in smaller quarters. IMO Minimizing the stress of captivity is extra important health wise and behaviorally in this very intelligent fish with great awareness of its environment and what's going on outside the aquarium as well.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Viktor is absolutely correct. If you want optimal conditions for L Pictus you need a foot print like Viktor mentioned and superior water quality for the fish to thrive over the long haul particularly as it grows. The key word is thrive. It will exist in smaller quarters. IMO Minimizing the stress of captivity is extra important health wise and behaviorally in this very intelligent fish with great awareness of its environment and what's going on outside the aquarium as well.
Much appreciated and i hear you loud and clear regarding thriving vs surviving
How lond do there barbels get ?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store