Uaru breeding

adnan

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2009
Bulgaria
Hi MFK!
A friend of mine has a wonderful pair of Uaru cichlids. Couple of times they lay eggs but nothing happens, everything disappeared.
Does someone has experience with this type of cichlids? I need advice what's best way of breeding Uaru?
Thank you in advance!

adnan

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2009
Bulgaria
No other fish, only a pair of Uaru in a breeding tank. My friend tried couple of times to breed them but unsuccessfully. The eggs are fertilized but obviously right before hatching the parents eat them.
The question is does he have to leave that way to let parents become more experienced of taking care of their generation or after fertilising to divide the eggs. And another question- uaru babies are really miniature compared to other cichlids- what do you recommend to feed them during first week of their life?

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
I would let them spawn a few times and see if they get it right on their own. Usually Uaru make good parents.

Feeding the fry will be tough if you raise them away from the parents because the fry feed on the parents' slime coat like discus. If you feed them brine, it would probably be best to use the San Francisco type brine eggs which are supposedly smaller than other brine.

Reactions: adnan
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store