Maelys the flash zebra catfish (Brachyplatystoma juruense) growout thread

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
If this is the case why are there a big price difference between juruense and flash zebra
I have seen lists with both types Same size
People have always been willing to pay more for nicer fish. It's not really a surprise that sellers would think up a name to make a nice looking 'false zebra' catfish sound flashy. ;)

What's the difference like?
"Normal" juruense juveniles at 4-6" sell for about $75 in the States. "Flash" at 12-14" sell for about $300. Ironically, there are literally never juvenile sized flash zebras in the hobby. Hmm....

I would think that if the bright colors were a result of environment or diet someone would have figured out how to turn a common on into a 'flash'...
One could make this same argument about any number of South America fish that never look the same in captivity as they do in the wild. Rays are particularly prone to this. Indeed, almost all wild caught juruense have the vivid and bright colors that are so rare in captivity. I've seen the claims of Rio Nanay fish being 'better' than the so called normal jurs, but I've never seen it replicated in a tank. These amazing fish that have stunning patterns and bright yellows when captured and kept in an aquarium turn into the same drab, boring, brown and copper colored fish as anything else, while costing 5x more than a 'regular' jur. thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter had a great WC example of this quite a few years ago.

It seems to me that these fish need water conditions similar to their home range to thrive and look their best: acidic and truly soft RO/DI water. Viktor is providing this for his fish now, and look at the patterning and contrast on the ones he posted above!

Reactions: moe214

Yellowcat

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2010
SoCal
While browsing the vendor forum I noticed that PredatoryFins has a great looking 24" 'Flash Zebra' juruense for sale with picture and a note saying they need acidic, low PH water to maintain their yellow coloration. Likely similar to their home waters probably? I've found that PH can have an effect on coloration, especially at extremes in some cat species so I don't doubt it being a factor in juruense colors..

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
... had a great WC example of this quite a few years ago.
George Fear, the former owner of Shark Aquarium in Hillside, NJ and Ivan Mikolji's partner in crime, caught this jur himself and brought it to the store. I bought it 2 years later but lost it on the 8-h drive (long story, irrelevant here; the 2' fish looked the same in vivo).

Jur, 2 foot, George with the jur.jpg 100_3543.JPG 100_3547.JPG

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Ironically,there are literally never juvenile sized flash zebras in the hobby.Hmm... ;).
They have been offered from time to time.

While browsing the vendor forum I noticed that PredatoryFins has a great looking 24" 'Flash Zebra' juruense for sale with picture and a note saying they need acidic, low PH water to maintain their yellow coloration. Likely similar to their home waters probably? I've found that PH can have an effect on coloration, especially at extremes in some cat species so I don't doubt it being a factor in juruense colors..
Speaking of Predatory Fins I got my juvenile flash zebra from them.It was about four inches when it arrived.

Last edited:

shookONES

Casper... the not so friendly ghost
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Totowa, NJ
From what I know there is 2 different fish locations
The normal juruense and the flash zebra juruense

The normal juruense has a more off white stripe making it look like a dirty tig
The flash zebra has more of a yellow gold stripes

I resurched this a lot when I got mine as I also thought there was no difference or it was something they eat in the wild that gave them a yellow trait

When I started looking into them I had 2 both normal ones and the stripes where white
Then a shop called pier had a flash zebra and it was much more money and it did have the yellow stripes
This video is a flash

Take a look at this one it's a flash zebra

View attachment 1257607
I'm with you T1. There are two distinct Juruense cats: normals and flash tigers. Classifying the former is like classifying zebras. Their stripes are random by nature, so classifying them is pointless, IMO.

And I've seen plenty of genuine flash tigers. The reason you don't see them as of late is price. From what I've seen these past few years, TRUE flash tigers are 50-100% more expensive than the cost of a similar sized tigrinus cat.

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Zebra* LOL pardon the dyslexia...I was still nursing my first cup of coffee as I wrote my earlier reply.
It's all good bro and I might as well make a correction too while we are at it....I got my flash zebra from Discus Origins,not Predatory Fins as I posted earlier.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
It's all good bro and I might as well make a correction too while we are at it....I got my flash zebra from Discus Origins,not Predatory Fins as I posted earlier.
Would you post a link to your thread on it or maybe a few photos?

Reactions: Chicxulub
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store