Black Ear Pangasius Information?

AG458

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2017
Hi guys-

So I recently purchased a beautiful pangasius catfish that was simply labeled "black ear pangasius." I checked one of my fish books and found the iridescent pangasius, which he kind of looks like. However, the iridescent pangasius lacks the black spot behind the gills that my catfish has. I did some research, and found VERY little information on the black ear pangasius as an aquarium pet. Do any of you guys mind helping me out with this? I'm not sure how similar he is to the iridescent pangasius, and I don't want to care for him incorrectly if his behavior is different.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
It is very much close to iridescent shark catfish (IDS) from what I have seen so far. It's been more skittish in my hands though. Perhaps also close to paroon shark catfish apart from paroon's sometimes strongly predatory behavior.

Can read more in my thread: https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/posts/7640252

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Care and behavior is pretty much the same with both species,more or less.The black ears have better looking finnage than the Iridescent sharks.I have two black ears currently and I feed them a variety of sinking pellets.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
View attachment 1260402 Thank you guys for your feedback. It's cool to know that I'm not the only one with a black ear pangasius. Here's a photo:
Nice,wait until it starts to fill out and put on some girth.Has it eaten anything yet?

Reactions: GamerChick5567

AG458

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2017
Nice,wait until it starts to fill out and put on some girth.Has it eaten anything yet?
Not yet. I put in some cichlid pellets that went right next to him; he didn't go for them. Maybe because they're herbivore pellets? Are they carnivorous?

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I am wondering the same. It was such a nice looking, perky little guy 10 months ago. I wonder what became of it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store