Has anyone heard of Blue Guinacara?

Busterny

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2015
Rochester, NY
Stopped my my LFS and saw a tank labeled "rare Blue Guianacara". Does anyone know which species of Guianacara this may be referring to? They were pretty small, roughly 3/4". I should have taken a pic. Thinking of going back and grabbing some.

Adhlc

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2007
Raleigh, NC
I should have taken a pic. They are definitely some kind of guinacara.
Sometimes Guianacara owroewefi are referred to as "Blue Guianacara". If you happen to go back, I'd love to see a picture of them.

Busterny

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2015
Rochester, NY
IMG_1711.JPG FullSizeRender.jpg IMG_1710.JPG I went back and picked up 4, I couldn't pass up the opportunity. Here are a few pics while they were acclimating. What kind do you think they are?

Adhlc

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Awesome find, so glad you went back and grabbed them!

These guys are always a challenge to ID for me, especially when they're juveniles. If I had to guess the species though, I'd say Guianacara Stergiosi. To be certain, you'll probably have to wait until they get a bit bigger in order to ID properly.

There are a few individuals on here who are quite knowledgeable about this genus, so perhaps they can offer some better insight.

Either way, great pickup. Guianacara are a lot of fun to keep. A friend of mine has had a group of them for almost a decade now.

Reactions: Busterny

Busterny

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2015
Rochester, NY
It does seem like they are extremely difficult to ID. I had decided a couple years ago that if I had a chance to pick some up I would. The guy who netted them at the LFS, mentioned this is the first time they ever stocked them. Thanks for the help, I will post pics as they grow for more ID help.

newworld

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2008
chicago
Great fish I have a breeding grp in a 33 long for awhile, I bought them as geayi, are they that species? I don't know, indentifying this genus is confusing...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store