Advice for South American tank

cambrew

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2013
Australia
I'm not planning on creating a proper "biotope" but am wanting to have a good mix of south american fish in my new 180 gallon tank. I would like to throw in one large cichlid as a centerpiece but obviously cant be way too aggressive. Any idea's? Thinking a nice oscar but was wondering if any one has any other idea's of something that may work that is big and stays within the south american "theme"?

Current stocking:
1 x Gold spot pleco
1 x Gibbiceps
5 x Geophagus sp "Orange head" tapajos
Maybe a few bristlenose of different varieties

Cheers
TIA

#.$

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2017
Texas
Knife fish get very large and can be very aggressive as well as a pain. A full grown oscar could potentially eat your Geos and prefer to at least be in groups of two. I would recommend discus

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
skip gibbiceps as these can reach 24" and is a huge bioload, especially if you want an Oscar in the tank.

I would just do

5 orange head
1 Oscar or chocolate cichlid or Atabapo 1/tapajos pike or male green terror
1 gold spot

If you want something more top swimming, add 6 festivum with the chocolate/pike/terror

Reactions: bbortko

cambrew

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2013
Australia
How about a true parrot (Hoplarchus psittacus)? They are very handsome.
Yeh thought about these guys. The price and rarety of these guys has finally started going down finally here is AUS. Can manage to pick them up for $75 each plus shipping. I have had people mention the idea of angels as well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store