Cat and aquarium problem

Pond9

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2017
I was recommended to post here didn't realize there was other pets on this forum lol. My cat will not leave the backs of my aquariums alone he jumps back there and chews wires and air tubing I try blocking it off with makeshift items lying around the basement but he always finds a way. My tanks are at the furthest a foot away from the wall so he manages to climb over things and gets back there and chews I don't know what I can do to stop this I love my cat but I am seriously considering getting rid of him if I can't fix this. Anyone got ideas? I can't use water spray he thinks that's fun it doesn't faze him yelling clapping does nothing chasing him works until he heads right back. I'm afraid of using sprays so close to the aquariums and I don't have any ideas how to block it off since they are all different spaces away and the wall is cement blocks and I don't want to nail into the stands putting wood up. I have a 4 month old and it's hard to try and spend as much time with the cat right now he's 1 so still lots of energy in him PLEASE HELP!

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
I am seriously considering getting rid of him
hello; I read your post. You seem to have tried most anything I would have. Perhaps others will think of something that I cannot. For sure getting rid of the cat will solve the problem.

Reactions: Grinch

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I was recommended to post here didn't realize there was other pets on this forum lol. My cat will not leave the backs of my aquariums alone he jumps back there and chews wires and air tubing I try blocking it off with makeshift items lying around the basement but he always finds a way. My tanks are at the furthest a foot away from the wall so he manages to climb over things and gets back there and chews I don't know what I can do to stop this I love my cat but I am seriously considering getting rid of him if I can't fix this. Anyone got ideas? I can't use water spray he thinks that's fun it doesn't faze him yelling clapping does nothing chasing him works until he heads right back. I'm afraid of using sprays so close to the aquariums and I don't have any ideas how to block it off since they are all different spaces away and the wall is cement blocks and I don't want to nail into the stands putting wood up. I have a 4 month old and it's hard to try and spend as much time with the cat right now he's 1 so still lots of energy in him PLEASE HELP!

The only thing I personally can suggest is possibly is running the wires, and airline tubing into material like pvc pipe.

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
You can also use vinyl hose, scrap garden hose or similar to protect wires and tubing. Just slice lengthwise and place over wires and tubing. They also make a spiral wire wrap to protect cords but it's a more expensive option.

Reactions: tlindsey

syddakyd

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2008
NY
block off rooms w aquariums or neuter the cat and assuming it has claws and isnt a cultivated breed (too much or no hair), indoor outdoor it with a bell so it doesnt ruin wildlife. they sell detachable collars incase it goes under a fence from a dog or coyote or eagle trying to kill it. they wont snag. dont just get rid of the cat thats messed up. letting it outside solves boredom issues indoor cats face and the bell stop its from killing native wildlife. make sure rabies and distemper and up to date idk what else is that important. vets over sell alot and are anti raw feeding so im looking at them like they are either uneducated (book smart is not street smart/common sense) or getting paid off by purina to recommend life- reducing garbage . just my humble opinion. take your cat out on a harness n walk around the property. dont just let out. also bring some of its poop and scatter around your property as well. after 2 weeks, you should be fine

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store