Want to catch and stock a 55 gal in eastern Ohio

Mr.Catfish

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2010
NW Ohio
What kinda tank do you want? Do you want a community tank,species only or aggressive? I am in NW Ohio. You have the Big Darby which is our best stream in the state. The Big Darby has 86 species of fish with 5 being endangered. Let me know what you are looking for and I will see if I can help.

Larryfish

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2016
I'm really looking for grass or small chain pickerel. But could I house them with larger bluegill ?

Mr.Catfish

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2010
NW Ohio
Chain Pickerel get to big for a 55 and Grass pickerel really need more room also(at least a 18 inch wide tank.) Even Bluegill need more room long term than a 55.

Larryfish

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2016
I actually have my 125 set up now. With a rock bass. Black crappie. And a pumpkinseed. I'm currently feeding bass and crappie minnows from the baitstore and Canadian night crawlers. Is this a staple food. ? Or do I need to be feeding differently.
Also. Could I put pickerel in tank with my current stock and updated size. Or would it still be too small ?

Pumpkinseed

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2013
Pennsylvania
I actually have my 125 set up now. With a rock bass. Black crappie. And a pumpkinseed. I'm currently feeding bass and crappie minnows from the baitstore and Canadian night crawlers. Is this a staple food. ? Or do I need to be feeding differently.
Also. Could I put pickerel in tank with my current stock and updated size. Or would it still be too small ?
I have not been able to put Black Crappie with any aggressive fish. I have sucessfully put them with Yellow Perch, Large Goldfish, and Koi. I have lost Crappie to Pumpkinseed half their size.

I give mine worms and feeders from time to time., they will not take pellets. They do eat freeze dried Tetra JumboKrill, mine also eat freeze dried baby shrimp, but they like it less. They will not eat freeze dried mealworms. I always quarantine my feeders a month.

I've never tried Pickerel. My guess is that they will kill your current stock with their sharp teeth. If you start with a smaller one then it probably will not outgrow a 125, assuming you keep it on a reasonable diet. I don't know the regs in Ohio, but in PA a Pickerel has to be 18" to keep, which is pushing the limits of a 125.

If you like the pickerel shape, I would suggest Yellow Perch instead.

Another nice native fish in Ohio is the Longear Sunfish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store