Stingray tank question

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Yes if you are not familiar with the nitrifying cycle you will fail keeping Freshwater Stingrays. Start with a fish species that is hardy and never buy anything on impulse research is very vital.☺

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
Yes if you are not familiar with the nitrifying cycle you will fail keeping Freshwater Stingrays. Start with a fish species that is hardy and never buy anything on impulse research is very vital.☺
Very sound advice. Definitely take your time getting into rays...don't want to sound conceited but rays are about the most advanced fish to keep on a lot of levels. It helps having years of experience (failures) before attempting to keep rays. Not a fish you want to learn with. They are not forgiving at all! It costs serious cash to house them, not to mention the initial cost of the rays. Best to go into it with the confidence you gain from keeping other sensitive fish healthy first. Try discus, if you can keep them healthy long term than you'll have a better chance with rays imo

bigmikenyc

Feeder Fish
Jul 13, 2017
Thank you guys for the great advice. I have been doing extensive research on this and feel a bit overwhelmed. I think i am able to do the cycle for the tank. But the water change/Sump/filtration is a little out of my league. I do believe after more research and going to my LFS more often, a stingray is going to be something i can handle. Again, thanks for the advice.

Reactions: tlindsey

Riley S

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2014
Minneapolis
If you do more research and keep some regular fish first, then later on a stingray is going to be something you can handle. If water change/sump/filtration is out of your league, please do not start with a stingray for your first fish.

Since this is in a saltwater section, here is my experience. I set up a tank and kept a mix of fish for a few years. Then I sold off all fish and re-did my setup to be more elasmo-friendly. I kept an Urobatis species of ray for it's full natural lifespan, starting when it was tuna can diameter. I had this ray in three different addresses when I moved from MN to IL to MN again. You too can have similar success by taking your time and doing research. Don't jump right in.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store