Emergency Help Needed

pittbulldogva

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2013
Richmond, Va
Hello all. A few months ago I picked up a full size Rio Mag Umbee for my pond. At the time I got him he appeared to have a scrape on one side at the base of his tail. It wasn't particularly worrisome . Tonight while I was doing a water change I noticed it looked worse. I pulled him out and this is what I found. Any idea as it what this is, and how can I treat it. Thanks in advance.

Umbee.jpg

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Hard to say what caused it. It looks bad. Not sure how deep it goes. Will end up treating blindly.

Would quarentine. Clean water. Try a salt dip of 4 tsp in a gallon of water in a bucket for up to 30min as tolerated. If acts funny then return back to quarentine tank.

Would treat with broad spectrum. Like kanamycin and parasite guard to the qt tank. Even injecting some iodine into the wound.

See what Charney Charney suggests.

philipraposo1982

Banned
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2016
Cambridge, Ontario
Man that looks bad... I can't really offer help but will follow for support and to hopefully learn from your experience.

I do like the idea of salt bath and providing a clean solo tank for him that's easy to medicate.

pittbulldogva

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2013
Richmond, Va
The LFS is not open yet, so I went to CVS looking for iodine. All the had was iodine tincture with 47% alcohol. Am I looking for straight iodine? Would Betadine work?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
They should have a cvs povidine iodine. Not sure about that particular brand.

Let me try to research it.

It's used outside the tank. Fill syringe and squirt in a bit. Let the rest come out and back to the tank.

Reactions: Bigfishnut

pittbulldogva

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2013
Richmond, Va
Ok. So I just gave him a salt bath for 20 min and cleaned the wound with iodine. He is now resting comfortably in the 125. The good news is that the hole is not as deep as I initially thought. I went around it with a Q tip and the head of the Q tip never went into it fully. I'll keep everyone posted. Going to get meds tonight.

Reactions: MrsE88 and kno4te

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Keep an eye on ur water. The meds will kill ur bb and only daily water checks and water changes will be able to manage it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store