Black nasty questions considering a pair

Pond9

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2017
Well my dream of a big dovii tank just seem to unrealistic for years... I recently have found a possible solution I am very interested in a black nasty pair I watched videos on them and they are just stunning fish and have a lot of qualities of dovii in a smaller package but not small what I have read so far is males can reach 16" but more likely 13-14" I don't know if that's true or not. I have read they get bloat easy and are best on a more plant matter diet with low protein. How low exactly? And what's a good pellet for them? Also read they like a little warmer water and need extra aeration and pristine water. All of that I can handle I am very diligent on water changes. I seen a male on YouTube housed alone in a 90 gallon tank that was about 16" and appeared very healthy. My question about tank size is would a 125 work for a pair? It would seem like the 18" deep footprint wouldn't be large enough but the one I seen seemed to be happy and fine. Also where can I find nice quality pairs online? I've never seen them for sale locally. Basically anything I should know let me know I have been reading and watching as much as I can but I'm sure keepers on here can tell me more. Thank you

Reactions: TillmanCJ

TillmanCJ

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2017
I am also all ears for anyone that has info of these bad boys. There isn't too much about them online

Jhay3513

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2017
Charlotte, NC
T TillmanCJ P Pond9 i currently have a group of 5 and basically have read the same as you. I've had mine since march and as of right now my formula is kens spirulina flakes, frozen blood worms, frozen brine shrimp, fresh green peas, and northfin pellets (which they still don't really like). I keep the aquarium between 92-94° depending on ambient temp in the room. I'm starting to side with the folks that say that the bloat from high protein is B.S. And that the bloat is from stress. One thing I will say is that you have to have a large enough aquarium to begin with. I got my group at 1-1.5" and I tried housing them in a 20 long until I got my 75 up and running and I'll attest that these fish at any size absolutely hate each other. I'm probably going to thin mine out in another month or two because even in the 75 it's not large enough for a group of 5 without territorial issues.
IMG_7909.JPG IMG_7917.JPG IMG_7926.JPG IMG_7934.JPG IMG_7967.JPG

TillmanCJ

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2017
Beautiful nastys you got there. Very nice and the salt/pepper look is a must with the black nastys lol we can all thank Andy Woods

Reactions: BIG-G

Jhay3513

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2017
Charlotte, NC
Beautiful nastys you got there. Very nice and the salt/pepper look is a must with the black nastys lol we can all thank Andy Woods
Funny thing is I've always used it but it just made perfect sense with a salt and pepper fish. One thing I will say is i wouldn't do a black substrate. It really made their colors look less impressive. As soon as I added them to the 75 they all improved. Even the less dominant ones

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
I was wondering how long it would be before Andy's name was dropped!
Lol. He definitely has some beautiful nasties!

Reactions: TillmanCJ

Pond9

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2017
What size tank does Andy keep them in? Lol. I seen his and was hooked line and sinkered. So the white and black substrate mix he uses is the way to go?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I kept my pair (with no other fish) in a 150gal tank, where they spawned any times for about 5 years.
They like warm temps (mid to high 80s).
As far as pellets, I used NLS alga max, and other type with a high algae content.
My male easily hit 15". female 10"-12".

Full grown, they made my 150 gal look tiny

Pond9

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2017
Was it the 48" wide 24" deep or a 72" wide? I'm trying to figure out what I should be looking for

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store