Sudden Blindness tetraodon mbu

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
Well, I recently got a mbu, a cute little inquisitive fella at 1.5-2" in size, got it a few weeks ago.

I put him in a 50 gallon tank with 200 gallon per hour filter.

This tank has black gravel, which I now think was a bad idea to begin with, as it hid most of the poop and uneaten food.

The first 5 weeks everything went perfect, I fed him with live snails and live shrimp, the snails are from my pond and the shrimp I get from the river, QT them, feed em on Hikari cichlid gold and massivore before feeding them to the puffer.

A week ago I notice that the little fella is swimming in circles and bumping against the tank walls, and this rang alarm bells, I immediately sat searching through internet if there's any such incident recorded by others and I found very many incidents, the main cause being nitrates being higher than 20ppm.

My first course of action was a very large water change. And I added activated carbon and zeolite, and did daily water changes for three days, and have been doing alternate day water changes since.

Yesterday I noticed that he is now capable of seeing with his left eye, albeit from a close range and not from far, this I say, because he is unable to find snails unless he comes very close to the snail and then squints at it, before catching and eating it.

He is still blind in his right eye, keeping my fingers crossed, and will update as to what happens to the fellow.

I have built a sump for the 50gallon now, so that this never happens ever again.

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
Okay at last he has recovered completely and is capable of seeing with both his eyes, and is back to be being the awesome puffer

Reactions: tlindsey

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
That is strange to say the least. Thanks for telling us :)

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
That is strange to say the least. Thanks for telling us :)
Actually it is quite usual for puffers to lose eye sight if nitrates are as much as 30ppm.

But many have lost their fish eventually, and I have been frantically searching the web to find an alternative ending and hadn't found one, hence after the successful recovery of my puffer I wanted to share this positive ending

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Actually it is quite usual for puffers to lose eye sight if nitrates are as much as 30ppm.

But many have lost their fish eventually, and I have been frantically searching the web to find an alternative ending and hadn't found one, hence after the successful recovery of my puffer I wanted to share this positive ending
Awesome.

That's scary, and the reason I am steering my younger brother clear away from dwarf puffers for now.

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
Awesome.

That's scary, and the reason I am steering my younger brother clear away from dwarf puffers for now.
which dwarf is he going for, I have kept dwarves before, but never faced this, and was quite taken aback by the sudden development, mbu are very sensitive compared to the other puffers.

Your brother should try the carinotetraodon species. These guys are a ball to keep and don't need a tank larger than 15 gallons

Reactions: Hendre

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
which dwarf is he going for, I have kept dwarves before, but never faced this, and was quite taken aback by the sudden development, mbu are very sensitive compared to the other puffers.

Your brother should try the carinotetraodon species. These guys are a ball to keep and don't need a tank larger than 15 gallons
Malay puffers.

I'll look at them but we lack availability of rare fish and foods for them

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Seeing it's Malaysian and red eyes that's not rare silly me.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store