need some help,,,

flukekiller

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2014
gloucester, va 23061
so my filter seems to be having an issue, its been up and running for over a year.
for the last 2 weeks the flow from one barrel slows down to the point of where the
first barrel overflows a little and the second barrel only has a few inched of water.
i am using a 4" pvc pipe from one barrel to the next. i stuck my hand in there and
there is nothing in there. i also changed the screen out but it has happened again.
any thoughts? what can i do to prevent this? can i possibly have too much K1 media
in there? here is my set up

filterpic.jpg

filter2.jpg

filter.jpg

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
Just to clarify, in picture 1, the water flows from the barrel on the right to the barrel on the left? And, the flow is getting backed up at that 4" piece of pvc such that it's starting to overflow the barrel on the right?

flukekiller

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2014
gloucester, va 23061
correct... im wondering if now that the media is "bacteria loaded" that it is somehow clogging the pipe and not letting water through

Jez1992

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2015
UK
If media is sticking to the pipe, then tie another small.airstone directly underneath the pipe, that will keep the media moving around the pipe?

You've not increased the flow of the pump have you?

Reactions: tlindsey

flukekiller

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2014
gloucester, va 23061
If media is sticking to the pipe, then tie another small.airstone directly underneath the pipe, that will keep the media moving around the pipe?

You've not increased the flow of the pump have you?
Thanks for the input. After about an hour or so I realized that my air rod had moved, originally I did have it under the pipe, so I moved it back.(we will see if this was the problem) so far after a few adjustments it seems that was the problem. I might have to attach it to a heavier rock as it seems that all the movement might have made it move.

Jez1992

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2015
UK
Thanks for the input. After about an hour or so I realized that my air rod had moved, originally I did have it under the pipe, so I moved it back.(we will see if this was the problem) so far after a few adjustments it seems that was the problem. I might have to attach it to a heavier rock as it seems that all the movement might have made it move.
Got ya.

If the stone is moving, id suggest getting two pieces of pvc pipe, say 20mm, and the use a 4 way connector to make a 'cross', and cut the length so they are just shorter than barrel width. You can then zip tie your stone to centre of the 'cross' and it will keep it in place. It may spin, however because of the cross it can't move side to side so your stone will stay centre. Hope that makes sense!

Jez1992

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2015
UK
I'm interested in your filter btw as am planning something very similar on my current big tank.

Are you going to cover it and insulate it to keep the heat in winter? If so how as that's what I'm currently unsure of. Cheers

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
+1 on that as well I see you are in VA . Is there a thread on how you made your filter? If not it may be helpful to other and me too.;)
How do you deal with winter temps? I would like to try this setup myself. Thanks.

flukekiller

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2014
gloucester, va 23061
My tank build link is in my signature. It is insulated and covered. I basically built a box out of 2 x 4's and ply wood.. the insulation is between the plywood and the pond liner.

I'm interested in your filter btw as am planning something very similar on my current big tank.

Are you going to cover it and insulate it to keep the heat in winter? If so how as that's what I'm currently unsure of. Cheers
+1 on that as well I see you are in VA . Is there a thread on how you made your filter? If not it may be helpful to other and me too.;)
How do you deal with winter temps? I would like to try this setup myself. Thanks.
20160705_131752.jpg

Reactions: BIG-G

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
Okay I will definitely check that out! I appreciate it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store