IDEAS FOR SOLITARY FISH IN 300 GAL Salt FOWLR

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
I used to have 2 years old clown trigger, I have to sell it cause I move across the country and no way I can setup a huge saltwater tank right away for me so I must let it go. I am now rising a new baby clown trigger up for a solo display.
*other cool display fish is a Lionfish, keep a group of them (4) would make everyone one WOW look at your tank, they will know you as a owner but don't have much personality like clown trigger.

Reactions: tlindsey

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
I don't know where you live but here in NY, lionfish are an invasive species and a major pain. Their spines carry a poison that can be fatal to humans. They are illegal in some places because of the risk of them being introduced into the wild. I wouldn't want to keep one. If you live in NY NJ CT PA can catch them yourself. You get them sometimes when fishing for sole or founder. Another interesting fish would be some type of dory. They grow about the same size as a trigger, have nice color and look cool.https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeidae
Definitely something unusual.

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
I don't know where you live but here in NY, lionfish are an invasive species and a major pain. Their spines carry a poison that can be fatal to humans. They are illegal in some places because of the risk of them being introduced into the wild. I wouldn't want to keep one. If you live in NY NJ CT PA can catch them yourself. You get them sometimes when fishing for sole or founder. Another interesting fish would be some type of dory. They grow about the same size as a trigger, have nice color and look cool.https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeidae
Definitely something unusual.
I knew it's an invasive species in East Coast but I think the cause is not from someone release them into the wild, it's dued to the huge storm that hit East Coast almost yearly, destroyed houses and bring them into local ocean. Lionfish is legal here and we eat them too :p so nature balance out hahahaha

Reactions: J. H. and tlindsey

kewpiefishypewpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2016
I knew it's an invasive species in East Coast but I think the cause is not from someone release them into the wild, it's dued to the huge storm that hit East Coast almost yearly, destroyed houses and bring them into local ocean. Lionfish is legal here and we eat them too :p so nature balance out hahahaha
Hey Yuki Rihwa Yuki Rihwa would you mind telling me what size tank you kept your clown trigger in? They're my dream fish.

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
Hey Yuki Rihwa Yuki Rihwa would you mind telling me what size tank you kept your clown trigger in? They're my dream fish.
It's going to be in 10x4x4 foots but it won't be for a while, it will need to put some size before going into that tank or it will become expensive food prey :)

Reactions: kewpiefishypewpie

MUSBFRANK

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2010
LOS ANGELES, CA
Well, if you're looking for something that gets big with attitude and color, a Clown Trigger is certainly a way to go, a grouper would be a waste (imo) they just hide and eat, a puffer is just going to end up scratching the hell out of your tank if it's acrylic, Queen Angels always fade in color the longer they're in captivity, but I would certainly go with a large Emperor Angel with a trailer, definitely a lot cleaner and less waste than groupers, puffers, and triggers. Honorable angel mentions, Annularis, French, or Blue face.

Reactions: Yuki Rihwa

Gpdriftwood

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2017
If u do want a puffer, I have a 17" stars n stripes (white spotted). Who needs a bigger home. I have had him for 6yrs or more. He has tons of personality, like a dog. He eats from my hand, and is definitely a show fish. He came from the Niagara aquarium. I would let him go cheap to a good home. I'm in Panama NY. Holler if ur interested.IMG_20170906_144106.jpg

Reactions: J. H.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store