advice on the care of a goliath tiger fish

Nigel1998

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Hi guys i am new to this forum and i hope u will be patinet with me while i learn to use the forum properly. I just recently got a goliath tigerfish around 3 inches big, and i wanted to ask experinced keepers on the care for these amazing fishes and tips u could teach me. could u guys lend me a hand and give me a general care for my goliath? i apologise if i did anything wrong

eeJamBOYan

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2016
South East Asia
Just saw your post. Wondering how is it going with your GATF after 2 weeks?

Myself very tempted to get some VATF after months of reading up and being "poisoned" by fellow hobbyist.. Don't have a tank ready yet for these guys sadly.

Nigel1998

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Just saw your post. Wondering how is it going with your GATF after 2 weeks?

Myself very tempted to get some VATF after months of reading up and being "poisoned" by fellow hobbyist.. Don't have a tank ready yet for these guys sadly.
he is doing just fine. abit jumpy but still great. i have not seen him feed soo i am abit concern but i see feeder dissapearing and the ocassional riped up peaces of fishes so i think he is feeding well. however i strong advice not keeping any other fish with it. he ended up injuring n killing my snakehead. all the best if u r planing to get 1 and ensure u have a really really big tank

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
If you haven't done so already, try reading the ATF guide in Other Characins. I am moving this thread to that section.

Lugal

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2008
If it's feeding and well, then there's nothing to worry about. Once it reached 6", try to feed it routinely and make sure it knows you're its food source though. This way it won't be so jumpy.

Nigel1998

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
If it's feeding and well, then there's nothing to worry about. Once it reached 6", try to feed it routinely and make sure it knows you're its food source though. This way it won't be so jumpy.
i have never once seen it feed. its about 4and a half inch(give or take). i do notice my feeder going missing and the fact tat its still alive after 3 months indicate its eating?? i am not to sure how long it will take to grow it into a true behemoth

Lugal

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2008
I have mine for 6 months now. It grew from 4" to 7.5". I'd say they grow .5" a month a best.

Nigel1998

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
I have mine for 6 months now. It grew from 4" to 7.5". I'd say they grow .5" a month a best.
slow growth rate but i think my gars had a slower growth rate.i dont really see it move tat much is tat normal?

Lugal

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2008
You mean the gar or GATF? The gar doesn't move that much except feeding time so that's normal. Some lone, young GATF also doesn't. I've had one many years ago which I never saw it moved, like, at all so I sold it after 6 months of keeping. My newer one is in 280g tank and has compatible tankmates so it's much more active though.

Nigel1998

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
You mean the gar or GATF? The gar doesn't move that much except feeding time so that's normal. Some lone, young GATF also doesn't. I've had one many years ago which I never saw it moved, like, at all so I sold it after 6 months of keeping. My newer one is in 280g tank and has compatible tankmates so it's much more active though.
my gars r fairly active. i meant my goliath is not moving much

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store