Fruit & veg for fish?

fuzzlebug

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2014
scotland
Hey guys and gals, my curiosity has me wondering what fruit and vegetables do you guys feed your fish? I know there's videos on YouTube of people making there own fish food using fruits and vegetables but if I'm honest, I trust you guys opinion more than some video online. I'm especially interested in what fruit and vegetables can be feed to predatory fish as I'd like to try a varied, nutrient rich diet if I where to get some predatory fish. Thanks.

fuzzlebug

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2014
scotland
Iv read that algae and seaweed are good for fish. I was thinking of incorporating those into a home made pellet. I'm wanting to veer away from store bought fish, the cost is a bit much and i want to reduce the impact on our ocean caused by aquaculture and agricultural production.

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
I feed lettuce, kale, cucumber, peas, apple. My guppies love the stuff, goldfish and SDs do too, rainbows are not big on it, angels will eat a lot of it, considering that they are supposed to be carnivorous, my panchax killies showed no interest, but offhand they are the only fish that didn't. Even my channelcat liked his veggies. In the wild they have a lot more chance to eat greens than in your tank. Being that veggies is seen as a preventative and cure for hex and HITH, I think they are a good idea, in general.

GamerChick5567

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2016
Tustin, CA
Generally I stick with spinach, zucchini, and cucumbers, and peas. Occasionally I will use some frozen corn or carrots too. Their favorite is always zucchini. I haven't tried broccoli yet but I've heard most fish will eat that. Also my guys seem to like bits of cooked potatoes too when I make them plain but they make a huge mess haha.

You can blanch them to make them softer. I wash mine really good, then pop them in water in a bowl in the microwave for 30 seconds to a minute. Then I let them cool and wash them again and throw them in the tank.

I've also been meaning to make that goldfish type gel food for my guys.

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
The only fish that I used to fed fruit is Pacu, other vegies fish species are gazing on my planted plants. However, I'm trying to train my 8 months old clown trigger (saltwater) to eat Nori sheet lol but no success yet. Its now happy eating NFS pellets and other market prawn.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Most terrestrial based plant matter contains anti-nutritional matter, which if fed in excess can have a negative impact on ones fish, even if they are classified as herbivores. Other than being green, peas are not the same as algae. Fish in the wild eat whatever they can find, but it's not always nutritionally sound.

IMO it is generally best to feed aquatic based vegetation, and for that I cannot find a better "food", than NLS AlgaeMax. I don't believe that there is another aquatic plant based food, homemade or otherwise that has the nutritional profile, that is primarily based on aquatic plant matter, as this formula.

Ingredients Algae; Chlorella, Ulva Seaweed, Red Seaweed, Kelp, Spirulina, Wakame Seaweed, Whole Antarctic Krill, Giant Squid, Whole Fish, Eucheuma cottonii, Spinosum Seaweed, Chondrus crispus, Whole Wheat Flour, Omega-3 Fish Oil, Alfalfa, Astaxanthin, Capsanthin, Zeaxanthin, Vitamins etc.

\

Last edited:

fuzzlebug

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2014
scotland
the problem is everyone has different definitions of excessive, to me throwing in a handful of veggies2 or 3 times a week seems like a good balance. But what I would really like is to cut out fish altogether, especially for omnivores and herbivores, with maybe the occasional portion of fish. I know that I'd need an alternative source of protein, but if I feed enough algae and seaweed, in the right proportions that'll cover the omega 3 that they'd normally get from eating fish?

Reactions: J. H. and tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store