Hi guys, my tank

DaveAPBT

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2017
England
Hi guys, I joined recently and just thought i'd share a couple of pictures of my tank, I have an Oscar, a jag & an EBJD (who are all very young hence my tank looking empty) hopefully the pics work20170716_220616.jpg 20170719_155704.jpg

DaveAPBT

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2017
England
Thank you, I recently added a DIY filter with k1 in, always looking for ways to improve the tank so opinions/pointers are absolutely welcome good or bad

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Hi, welcome to MFK! Tank looks nice, pretty natural décor. Nice looking EBJD as well. What size is this tank? My only criticism would be that it looks like it will probably be too small for a full-grown jag, especially with those tankmates.

DaveAPBT

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2017
England
Hi, yes I much prefer to keep things looking nice & natural, the tank is 5 feet in length, 2 feet in height & 2 feet in width, do you think this size will be okay?

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Jaguar cichlids are extremely aggressive when they get large, much more so than an Oscar and an EBJD. The tank *might* be large enough to keep one alone, but too small for the jaguar to share. Might I suggest you sell the jaguar, and get a parachromis loisellei? They are in the same family and look very similar, but they get to around half the size, and are more peaceful.

DaveAPBT

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2017
England
Thank you Gourami Swami your advice has been taken onboard & I shall be doing some serious thinking this weekend about what you said. Thank you AquaAlex1993 the EBJD is an awesome fish, he is about 3 inches at the moment

Reactions: Gourami Swami

Athletic_Amph

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2016
Branford, CT
Welcome to MFK!
as stated above, I'd agree with rehoming the Jag or allowing the Jag the entire tank... but I'm rather partial to EBJDs, so I'd say rehome the Jag when it begins showing it's aggression (probably around 6")

The EBJD will grow the slowest of all your stock, and is also the most sensitive to water quality and stress...
So even if you do remove the Jag, be sure to keep up on water changes. The bioload of the Oscar is going to require clean water regularly, and if you neglect the water changes the EBJD might suffer. Fresh water is key for EBJDs to thrive

ps-the scape of the tank looks great!

Reactions: DaveAPBT

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Beautiful tank you have there, love the aquascape. Your EBJD is gorgeous, I have one as well and love them.

Reactions: DaveAPBT
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store