Leopard ctenopoma adult size and bloodworms

BichirMohawk

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2016
Will a leopard ctenopoma really reach 6 inches in captivity?

Also, would it be a good idea to feed bloodworms to a full grown adult, or would the bloodworms be too small?

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
They are slow growers but they can eventually reach six inches.I wouldn't give it bloodworms as it would take too many of them to provide a decent meal.Try getting it onto some kind of sinking pellet.

lunadraco

Feeder Fish
Jul 23, 2017
Connecticut
Yes, they will absolutely reach 6" in captivity, I have a pair this size right now, and I had one nearly that size a few years ago that got lost to an 8 day power outage. Blood worms will be much to small for an adult, mine eat almost exclusively frozen krill, though they will take an occasional sinking pellet. One of them is pictured below.DSCN2546.JPG

BichirMohawk

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2016
Yes, they will absolutely reach 6" in captivity, I have a pair this size right now, and I had one nearly that size a few years ago that got lost to an 8 day power outage. Blood worms will be much to small for an adult, mine eat almost exclusively frozen krill, though they will take an occasional sinking pellet. One of them is pictured below.View attachment 1264773
thanks for the info, do you remember what size you got them as and how long it took for them to reach 6"?

lunadraco

Feeder Fish
Jul 23, 2017
Connecticut
thanks for the info, do you remember what size you got them as and how long it took for them to reach 6"?
This pair was full grown when I got them, the first one I had I got at about 2" and took about 21 1/2 to 2 years to reach that size. The ones I've had have always been excellent eaters, so as long as you feed them a high protein diet they should grow just fine.

Reactions: BichirMohawk

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
I got mine at about the size of a quarter ($6 at petsmart!) its easily 6" now. Ive had it about 1.5 years. It absolutely loves carnivore pellets. I think mine grew pretty fast actually. Did the majority of its growth in the first 6 months.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I've seen close to 8" fish at london zoo

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I got mine at about the size of a quarter ($6 at petsmart!) its easily 6" now. Ive had it about 1.5 years. It absolutely loves carnivore pellets. I think mine grew pretty fast actually. Did the majority of its growth in the first 6 months.
That's excellent growth....good food definitely has it's benefits.

I've seen close to 8" fish at london zoo
I wonder how old it was.

Reactions: twentyleagues

litigator666

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2008
clayfield, qld australia
Majority of my bushfish is about 6inches. Not sure how long it took for them to grow that size as i been buying them as adults.

I feed mine bloodworms and carnivore pellets with the occassional african night crawlers and black soldier fly larvae.

Reactions: BichirMohawk
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store