Hi-Fin Shark (Myxocyprinus Asiaticus)

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
Beautiful day in San Diego. 24" Hi-Fin amongst kois. Very slow growing and slow moving. They tend to do better in ponds with a lot of algae because they cannot compete with others during feeding time. When large they look dull and ugly. Yucky orange brown. A unique fish for sure.

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
Nice fish Ken! Do you just have one? I have been debating getting one or two, but I heard they only do well in groups, so I was wondering how you are doing it.

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
Nice fish Ken! Do you just have one? I have been debating getting one or two, but I heard they only do well in groups, so I was wondering how you are doing it.
Yes, just one. This one is about 15 years old. Strange....I always help people start their shoal with three to four and they all end up with one. They grow extremely slow. Requires a lot of algae. I find them doing better in shallow ponds. Probably because of better algae growth.

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
Sounds great.. is it true they eat hair algae? Usually when that is said about any fish it's BS, but I've been reading it everywhere.

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
Often they like to eat the algae along the waterline. They definitely do not eat pellets.
Years ago I moved one to a shaded pond and within weeks it was dead.
I do not know how the public aquariums that have large hifin shark keep theirs alive because they do.

pstennett

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2011
San Diego
Hi,

I'm also in San Diego and I have a 30" Myxocyprinus in an indoor 300 gallon system that I've raised from 2" long. I love this fish! His name is Aticus. He is very personable and watches TV with us. I personally don't find him dull or ugly but I know others who do. Probably the color enhancing aquarium lights help.

At this point I need a bigger tank to keep him in or I'm going to have to put him in my pond.
The pond is 900 gallons on a covered front porch with a black liner so when I've put him there in the past he just disappears. Also, since it's covered there isn't enough algae to support him. He eats algae wafers but like you said, he won't be able to compete with the koi. I put his 2 siblings in the pond when they reached 18" and they starved. I've never gotten over that and I don't want the same fate for this guy. I've even debated getting rid of the koi but then I'd just have an empty looking pond.

Perhaps he can come live in your pond and keep your Myxocyprinus company.

Beautiful day in San Diego. 24" Hi-Fin amongst kois. Very slow growing and slow moving. They tend to do better in ponds with a lot of algae because they cannot compete with others during feeding time. When large they look dull and ugly. Yucky orange brown. A unique fish for sure.

image.jpg

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Wow, he is impressive.

My husband and I just got done putting in our pond a couple weeks ago. I've been itching to get a couple new fish to add to our stock, but my husband wants to wait and see how our first winter goes. He is right, so I'm looking ahead here.
I'd really like to add a hi fin in to keep algae down and for the enjoyment of a different kind of fish. I really like the unique look of the adults.

Does anyone know if they can handle cold winters?

Reactions: The Masked Shadow
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store