Which one?

charlie10tango

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 22, 2017
Well, I picked up the 150g Tall today. It included a stand with built-in power strip, 2 HOB filters, M1200 powerhead, Eheim 300w heater, air pump, python, some xlarge cichlid caves, 3 unopened 25lb bags of dolomite substrate, and probably over 50lbs of large driftwood pieces The entire tank is tempered starphire glass. So now my quest for advice is on filtration...should I just use HOB filters or build an overflow to a sump and plumb a return over the edge?

charlie10tango

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 22, 2017
Well, I picked up the 150g Tall today. It included a stand with built-in power strip, 2 HOB filters, M1200 powerhead, Eheim 300w heater, air pump, python, some xlarge cichlid caves, 3 unopened 25lb bags of dolomite substrate, and probably over 50lbs of large driftwood pieces The entire tank is tempered starphire glass. So now my quest for advice is on filtration...should I just use HOB filters or build an overflow to a sump and plumb a return over the edge?

Chockful O Phail

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2015
Council Bluffs, IA
All 4 panels are starphire? All tempered? Who built it?

Edit: king of diy vids on YouTube has an overflow build and an accompanying update to make it look better. If the back panel is not tempered drilling and configuring a basic overflow like the one design in setup and filtration. A sump is just so much better imo. If not a couple hobs for mechanical and a big canister like the sun sun 304b for bio.

Last edited:
Reactions: J. H.

charlie10tango

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 22, 2017
I'm not sure of the manufacturer. There is a "tempered glass" sticker on the front and back and bottom panel. I didn't see a sticker on the side panels, but the side panels reacted the same way when doing a polarized filter test. I watched both videos again last night...I'm pretty sure I've watched every one of his videos at least twice by now! I'm leaning towards an over the top overflow. I just wasn't sure if anyone had specific experience with them.

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
I'm not sure of the manufacturer. There is a "tempered glass" sticker on the front and back and bottom panel. I didn't see a sticker on the side panels, but the side panels reacted the same way when doing a polarized filter test. I watched both videos again last night...I'm pretty sure I've watched every one of his videos at least twice by now! I'm leaning towards an over the top overflow. I just wasn't sure if anyone had specific experience with them.
If you're going that route, skip the diy pvc versions and invest in one or two of the CPR hob overflows. The pvc overflows are not reliable. Otherwise, a combo of hob filters and canisters will still do a great job. Probably two AC110's and an FX6, Eheim 2262 or SunSun 304B. Or, two canisters and one AC110.

charlie10tango

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 22, 2017
If you're going that route, skip the diy pvc versions and invest in one or two of the CPR hob overflows. The pvc overflows are not reliable. Otherwise, a combo of hob filters and canisters will still do a great job. Probably two AC110's and an FX6, Eheim 2262 or SunSun 304B. Or, two canisters and one AC110.
how would a diy overflow be less reliable than store bought one? It seems like they work the same way...please dont take this as arguing, I just have no experience with either. Another question...why would a canister filter work any different than an overflow into a sump? aren't they both pulling water over the top and pumping it back up over the top? (again...never used either)
My original plan was to have 2 overflows, each would run into a DIY 5 gallon "canister filter", those would empty into a sump, return pump would be in the sump and back up to the tank.

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
I would start just using the HOBs you already have, end upgrade if you feel you want more later. no need to fix what ain't broke. A sump will work just as well if you build it in a year as it will if you build it now.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store