Is it time to rehome my pleco?

Lente

Feeder Fish
Jul 22, 2017
Hi,

I am new to the forum although I have frequented the site for information on my fish. I'm sorry to be "that" person who starts asking questions before even introducing myself properly, but I'm stuck in a bit of a inner conflict situation and I trust your judgement on the matter a lot more than other forums

I have a 20 cm (approx 8inches) pleco in my tank, Mr P. Now I bought this little fella about 3 yrs ago when I did not know much and my lfs convinced me that he would be a great addition to my community tropical tank. I absolutely love this guy, but I am also aware that he might need a lot more space sooner rather than later ( if not already)

Would it be time to rehome him or could I maybe hang on to him for a little while longer (if so, when would be the right time to let him go?) I do not want him to be cramped and unhappy. I know there's the inch/gallon rule etc but tbh I just cant quite figure out how it works, so have pretty much been trusting my gutt feeling and common sense on stocking. So far so good, except for Mr P...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: GamerChick5567

GamerChick5567

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2016
Tustin, CA
What size tank do you have and do you know what species the pleco is? That will give us a good baseline. Some stay small like the bristlenose or rubberlip and some can get like 2ft long like the common plecos and p. gibbiceps (the petsmart sailfins). Got any pics?

If it''s a common or sailfin I'm afraid he is probably stunted. After 3 years he should be larger than 8".

Reactions: Yuki Rihwa

Lente

Feeder Fish
Jul 22, 2017
Thank you for the quick reply GamerChick!
I believe its Pterygoplichthys pardalis (L23). Tank is 30g community tank

Below some pics. Do you really think he is stunted :(

IMG-20170717-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20170717-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20170717-WA0005.jpg

GamerChick5567

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2016
Tustin, CA
Yes I do think it's a common or that L23 you mentioned. At this point I would just keep him though, I doubt he will really grow any bigger and from the outside he seems fine (doesn't seem like his eye or spine is messed up which sometimes happens to stunted guys). I looked up a page and the L23 gets to be about 14" so who knows. If you have taken good care of him which I'm sure you have, maybe he just was stunted from the lfs. If they told you a common would be ok in 30 gallons I wouldn't doubt it. :eek:

You could always move him to a bigger tank like a 125 or something too, use it as an excuse to upgrade haha. Maybe he will grow a bit more in a larger tank? It would be possible. I rescued some plecos from some small tanks with bad conditions and they have grown a tiny bit but not very much and not very fast sadly.

Lente

Feeder Fish
Jul 22, 2017
Yes I do think it's a common or that L23 you mentioned. At this point I would just keep him though, I doubt he will really grow any bigger and from the outside he seems fine (doesn't seem like his eye or spine is messed up which sometimes happens to stunted guys). I looked up a page and the L23 gets to be about 14" so who knows. If you have taken good care of him which I'm sure you have, maybe he just was stunted from the lfs. If they told you a common would be ok in 30 gallons I wouldn't doubt it. :eek:

You could always move him to a bigger tank like a 125 or something too, use it as an excuse to upgrade haha. Maybe he will grow a bit more in a larger tank? It would be possible. I rescued some plecos from some small tanks with bad conditions and they have grown a tiny bit but not very much and not very fast sadly.
Thank you so much for your advice and kindness GamerChick!
I have definitely tried to look after him properly and he is my greatest joy. I would be delighted if I could keep him :D

imabot

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2017
Just keep an eye on him for stunting and growing. What are your water parameters? I've heard that stunting comes from growth hormones building up so frequent water changes should prevent that.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store