Where To Find Payara?

AG458

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2017
I just wanted to ask where I could find payara for sale. They're such cool looking fish, and I read in another thread that you wouldn't be disappointed keeping one. I'll appreciate any info you're willing to share. (P.S. this is for later, when I upgrade my tank. Also: what's a good tank size for them?)

Reactions: GamerChick5567
A

AquaAlex1993

There is a lot of people interested in the Payara!
I, for one am and hope to be going one soon.
You will just have to keep an eye out for them, most likely you'll have to get one online. I have a few tracked down for whenever I am my 6' tank is ready.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
There's 2 on eBay, seller exoticfish if you willing to pay shipping and accept the terms.

Reactions: tlindsey and AG458

Dloks

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2011
in a car
Wes from RareFish a vendor on here has some listed for 75 I believe. Payara especially armatus is my favorite fish. You can go to Other Monster Fish under Characin to find my thread.they are awesome fishes

GamerChick5567

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2016
Tustin, CA
I can't remember, are these dudes still legal in CA? If so I want a few before they get banned haha. The seem like total beasts and knowing cali....

:eek:
LOL.

Reactions: tlindsey

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
I just wanted to ask where I could find payara for sale. They're such cool looking fish, and I read in another thread that you wouldn't be disappointed keeping one. I'll appreciate any info you're willing to share. (P.S. this is for later, when I upgrade my tank. Also: what's a good tank size for them?)
The smallest species red tail payara can be house in 150G, Armatus is required very large tank 200G+
*Beware these species are cool looking but it's not easy to keep them happy and quite hard to get them off live.

AG458

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2017
The smallest species red tail payara can be house in 150G, Armatus is required very large tank 200G+
*Beware these species are cool looking but it's not easy to keep them happy and quite hard to get them off live.
Will they eat anything else? Looking at their teeth, live makes sense!

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
Will they eat anything else? Looking at their teeth, live makes sense!
When you first acquired it, it most likely only eat live feeders.
You will have to train it to eat different food, now it's a different story.
Some will take few days, some take weeks and some just starve to the point of no return then die.

Reactions: AG458 and tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store