Help With This- Skin eating away

Arthur12

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2017
My Green Sunfish is in trouble. He was doing great in another tank, so well that I had to move him because he grew so fast. 2 Days into his new tank and he's got something that looks like is eating his slime coat. About a month ago I put in two fish that got the skin eating away, I thought maybe it was something they had in the wild but now I know for sure the problem is with my aquarium. I put in Prazipro yesterday and that seemed to make things worse. Also, two of my other fish have something abnormal on their dorsals, some missing skin and a white tuft.. What do they have and what medication will treat this? Fungus Cure from API? I need some help.

Green slime coat.
IMG_0109.JPG
And the dorsal of other fish.
IMG_0110.JPG
IMG_0111.JPG

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
Not fungus and likely to be environmental given more than one fish involved. I would focus on water quality and increase water changes in mean time.

Arthur12

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2017
I do water changes 3x/week 25-45% volume. So frustrating.

2 fish I introduced got this same skin eating and died.

The dorsal fins are not showing strong effects on the fish and only 2 other have it. Just wondering if they are related to whats going on with the Green Sunfish.

It seems new fish are effected and the resident fish have strong enough immune system to fight it off?

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
Remember too, Prazi is a wormer and wont help fight infection(for the most part); not a bad thing for a one time treatment for newly introduced fish tho.

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
Possible a broad spectrum antibiotic will help but will only be effective assuming water quality is ideal.

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
that doesn't look good. Are they flashing? I would treat with an antibiotic. Do you have dead coral in the tank?

Arthur12

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2017
Update- The Green Sunfish died. I treated the tank with API EM Erythromycin. The two fish with something on their dorsal fin has gone away, but they were different symptoms than the Green. None of my other fish showed any signs that they were sick, nothing visual on skin or acting weird. That seems strange since the Green Sunfish was affected so quickly and aggressively . I still would like to know what happened, but really happy things didn't get worse.

Just to test the aquarium, I moved a Longear into the tank and it is doing great, no signs of any problems. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store