New Hi-Fin Green Phantom Pleco

thefredpit

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
United States
Hello everyone,
Really exciting day for us as one of our favorite fish stores got a huge shipment in from a wholesaler in Columbia. Among other cool specimens, they got in a hand full of these hi-fin green phantoms. The store employee told us they were all wild caught? Though I am not sure if these pleco's are even naturally occuring or not to be honest. Anyone happen to know?
At any rate, we've got it in our 60 gallon tank with two other south american cichlids. Very pleased with how they are all getting on so far. We did 7 minutes of floating in the tank to match temp. followed by a 45 minute drip acclimation process. Then into the tank. We've got cucumber and zuchini in the tank right now stuffed with veggie waffers..but no interest as of yet from the pleco. Probably too soon to expect it to eat, it may even be nocturnal like our other pleco? Anyone know? Anyways just wanted to share the new acquisition with anyone who may be interested. Anyone with experience/advice/comments in general are all welcomed and appreciated. Thanks!
The high fin Green Phantom is Baryancistrus demantoides which is a different species than the regular fin. They do get about 6" when measured by standard length which is measured from the tip of the nose to the base of the tail not the end of the tail fin(confused me at 1st). Here is link to planet catfish's species profile of them.

https://www.planetcatfish.com/common/species.php?species_id=1805

I want to feed my pleco vegetables; I tried putting in an algae pellet for him but he didn't go after it (maybe it was the time of day). How should I: 1) prepare the vegetable, and 2) make it sink to the bottom, in a way that won't harm my fish?
I feed cucumber, sweet potato, potato, zucchini, squash and green beans to my bristlenose. I've done it 2 ways at 1st I would poke a hole through the vegetable and run a zip tie through several pieces and run the zip tie through a short piece of pvc pipe. It caused it to sink and gave them a place to hide at the same time. now I just grab a butter knife(make sure it's stainless steel) wash it real good with no soap stick it in the vegetable and toss it in. Now the green beans are real hard you just toss them in and they sink. Don't be surprised if it takes him a week to really start going at it. Most people say don't let it sit in there for more than 24 hours because it will foul the water. However I find that most cucumber and squash are good for 48 hours and tubers are good for 4-5 days. Basically I keep an eye on it and when it looks like it is getting smooshy I pull it.

Ryan029

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2016
Colorado
1st I would poke a hole through the vegetable and run a zip tie through several pieces and run the zip tie through a short piece of pvc pipe. It caused it to sink and gave them a place to hide at the same time.
Will be adding this to my methods of feeding for sure, thanks for the idea! Also, haven't heard of feeding green beans before, will try this with my hi fin and see if it takes. Finally gotta couple of photo's with the fin up!

0714171747.jpg

0714171746.jpg

Reactions: jordanlewis100

thefredpit

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
United States
I just use canned cut green beans just make sure it says no salt. Between my bristlenose and my horde of mystery snails I go through a can every 2 days

Ryan029

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2016
Colorado
I just use canned cut green beans just make sure it says no salt. Between my bristlenose and my horde of mystery snails I go through a can every 2 days
So here's a question. You said you use canned green beans, still gonna give that a shot, have you ever done any pea's of any kind? Like sugar snap maybe? Ive got some in the garden and was wondering if there was any reason to think the pleco might go for that?

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
So here's a question. You said you use canned green beans, still gonna give that a shot, have you ever done any pea's of any kind? Like sugar snap maybe? Ive got some in the garden and was wondering if there was any reason to think the pleco might go for that?
I don't know any reason that you couldn't try them. If they eat it should be okay.
No pesticide.
They sometimes take a few days to pickup on a new food offering so just because they don't take it right away doesn't mean they don't want it. Just give it a few tries before you give up on it.

thefredpit

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
United States
I tried peas and my bristlenose and mystery snails both spit them out but I've seen videos of some plecos pouncing on them so especially if they come from your garden I'd try them it is healthy for them

Ryan029

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2016
Colorado
Hi everyone! Just wanted to provide a quick update video:

This pleco has really thrived since you all helped me get things started with him :) I've picked up a couple others along the way but just wanted to show how well they're doing! Thanks to all those who offered advice!

Reactions: BigShawn
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store