Sexing polys...lesson learned

clm08k

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2016
Still clear as mud! Lol.
The pics of del are two different ones the full body is the bigger one "hes" 9"ish the tail shot is the smaller one. Bulge is there on smaller but it's way smaller in comparison to the bigger fish. Is it a fish overall size thing or is one female or just not as well equipped. ....?
hahhaa I'm dying of laughing at the other post of the title decisions. Glad you didn't post anything that would get you banned. Those provocative polys lol. The endli looks male, not sure about the other ones though.
Figured i would post this for new members.

This congicus started out with Hao Hao and found her...i mean his way to me a while back at 10-11 inches and was thought to be female. I couldnt find any pics showing the anal fin but pay attention at the 35 second mark.... looks female.

Time goes on fish puts on more size and matures a little more. Whamo its a male.
View attachment 1264315 View attachment 1264316 View attachment 1264317 View attachment 1264318

Moral of the story dont get you're heart set on the sex while they are small.

clm08k clm08k aka keeper of the records. Note the name change.

Told my son about the pbb's dirty little secret...its a girl so he and my daughter decided to switch names. Pbb is now princess tiana and congi is kong lmaooo...it kind of fits though as kong/congi is always in beast mode
Wait so, Congi is Kong. Love it!!!! and PBB is Princess Tiana or Belle? I thought the Faranah Endli was Tiana? o_O

That is so crazy about the Dark congi "turning into a male." Totally looked female to me for a long time! Do you think that the size/length of poly contributes? I read somewhere about sexing when they get to 8 inches....but it seems like dark congi appeared female for a while. Do you think it is age related?

Reactions: twentyleagues

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
hahhaa I'm dying of laughing at the other post of the title decisions. Glad you didn't post anything that would get you banned. Those provocative polys lol. The endli looks male, not sure about the other ones though.

Wait so, Congi is Kong. Love it!!!! and PBB is Princess Tiana or Belle? I thought the Faranah Endli was Tiana? o_O

That is so crazy about the Dark congi "turning into a male." Totally looked female to me for a long time! Do you think that the size/length of poly contributes? I read somewhere about sexing when they get to 8 inches....but it seems like dark congi appeared female for a while. Do you think it is age related?
Yeah at this point i think its related to size. Qhen i 1st got into polys i woukd read up on older threads and the OG keepers would say wait till they get some size on them...i guess its true.

Lol im a horrible father...yout better at what the kids name them than me. Yup f endli is tiana, congi is kong, and pbb is belle

Reactions: twentyleagues

Polyaddict86

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 1, 2016
Yey bay bay
I would think the del and sen are male but not only based off the bulge but it looks as if they're anal fin is meatier...who knows. Vancouver_98683 Vancouver_98683 is a sexing beast haha

Im not sure the bulge at the anal fin is the primary indicator but moee than likely a contributing factor. But again who knows.

Female pics : notice sp.delaware has a slight bulge but is femaleView attachment 1264779 View attachment 1264780

Male (ornate was not cooperating)

View attachment 1264781 View attachment 1264782 View attachment 1264783 View attachment 1264784 View attachment 1264785
This new pic of the congi is more clear, so ill go for male too.:D

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
The bulge, the shape and then someone mentioned how you can almost see through the females'?

I have one male, my Moke, and the shape of the anal fin is notably different than the other ladies. (Still not sure on Teug, will wait to make that call.)

Can you get some more pics where they're not smooshing their fins down, like when they're swimming?

Ropes are very easy to tell - there are marked size differences. Wish the others were as easy!

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
Here is Soba, and I am pretty damn sure he is a male Moke. To me it's shape plus the bulge. ;) He's 8-ish inches. It was far less obvious at 6 inches. 5.jpg

Reactions: Polyaddict86

thefredpit

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
United States
thats kinda funny magpie magpie my 9" moke is also male besides shape and bulge I also caught him showing the fin off to the girls by doing push ups using only his fin it was the strangest thing I've ever seen a fish do

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store