12x8x8

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
I just want to make sure I can keep them before I buy 6 at $15 each.

How likely am I to get a male and female if I ordered 6 shrimp?
That would depend on the dealer, i know in Asia distributors at one stage were picking out only females for sale and kept all males for breeding...

Now a days this doesnt tend to happen, but again depends on the dealer and if they are hand picking shrimp somehow, or just picking them out at random...

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
That would depend on the dealer, i know in Asia distributors at one stage were picking out only females for sale and kept all males for breeding...

Now a days this doesnt tend to happen, but again depends on the dealer and if they are hand picking shrimp somehow, or just picking them out at random...
I plan to order from the same company I got the CRS and dream blue velvets from. They pick their shrimp out randomly.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Well good luck for that venture.

Considering using optiwhite glass for the 2 visible panels of the tank to get extra clarity

Any ideas for scaping around gouramis? Want to make a suitable home for them

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
convict360 convict360 Fat Homer Fat Homer Most of the shrimp are hiding now. I may see 1-2 of each species at most. Is this normal? Should I be worried?
that could be due to a few factors, as Homer mentioned could be just that they are new and settling in; high lighting can also induce hiding, as can high water flow; the other possibility is the water quality. If you are still within the 1-2 kh, 5-6 gh and a tds of between 100-200 you should be fine, I'm assuming the tank cycle will be healthy and established anyway

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
Well good luck for that venture.

Considering using optiwhite glass for the 2 visible panels of the tank to get extra clarity

Any ideas for scaping around gouramis? Want to make a suitable home for them
they should do well with plants depending on the gourami, other than that I'd suggest looking at their colour and working from that; choosing different plants to suit

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
they should do well with plants depending on the gourami, other than that I'd suggest looking at their colour and working from that; choosing different plants to suit
These will be samurai gourami so I'm thinking knotty wood (vine) with lots of rhizomes, some rocks and floating plants.

Tank currently:1500910848854-1452583584.jpg

Also found a tetra fry when I came back from a holiday yesterday, a month after the tetras went out

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
Both shrimp colonies died out, I'm assuming because the goby ate them. They acted fine while they were alive, no signs of illness. Not sure if I want to keep the goby and no shrimp, shrimp and no goby, or try buying larger shrimp.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
The goby could be eating the youngsters, I also have less adult shrimp than when i started but have a lot of little ones. Expensive loss but shrimp only tanks are best really

Reactions: convict360

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
The goby could be eating the youngsters, I also have less adult shrimp than when i started but have a lot of little ones. Expensive loss but shrimp only tanks are best really
Not sure what to do... No shrimp, larger shrimp, or move/sell the Goby. I may also try feeding half a bloodworm cube twice a day rather than a whole cube twice a week.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Unless completely full all the time won't help. Did you feed the shrimp specifically?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store