Koloton and ghost congi
View attachment 1264903 View attachment 1264904 View attachment 1264905

Sp.dabola/tinkisso and dark congi
View attachment 1264906 View attachment 1264907 View attachment 1264908

Teugelsi and ansorgii
View attachment 1264909 View attachment 1264911

Faranah Lap
View attachment 1264910

So DMD123 DMD123 had this discussion (i think) a long time ago about displays of dominance. I always felt the dominant polys (in my group) always want the bottom of the poly pile or atleast dont like anyone else gettong under them...they have yo be the one on the bottom.
Since sp.delaware has taken over as boss she wont let anyone rest under her. Today the sp.candybar/faranah tried to get under her and she bit and held onto one of her pec fins....didnt head shake or anything and let her go after a few seconds then swam over to her and wedged herself beneath candy bar.

What other signs of dominance dp you guys notice ?
I have all upper jaws and really don't see a lot of issues. I have seen the two dels "signal" each other usually a dorsal fin popping and a head bob and one moves, its usually the smaller one that moves. Ive seen it more then once so its more then coincidence. The tiny golddust has snapped at both the Polli and Teug but seems to be over it now. The albino will snap at other fish not polys (that ive seen) and not the leaf fish. Its more of a snap in their general direction usually right before I feed so it may be a feeding thing or because they are all crowding him.

Reactions: clm08k and jaws7777

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Thats interesting. Hopefully my 3 ornates and 3 senegals behave themselves:eek:
I have 11 and no serious aggression imo its more of personality thing. I had a pbb and endli that were complete jerks no matter what i did they were aggressive to the point of causing physical injury. Had as low as 3 and as many as 16 and it always boiled down to tje individual fish's behavior.
Even my ornate would beat on smaller polys regardless of how many polys were in the tank.

I have all upper jaws and really don't see a lot of issues. I have seen the two dels "signal" each other usually a dorsal fin popping and a head bob and one moves, its usually the smaller one that moves. Ive seen it more then once so its more then coincidence. The tiny golddust has snapped at both the Polli and Teug but seems to be over it now. The albino will snap at other fish not polys (that ive seen) and not the leaf fish. Its more of a snap in their general direction usually right before I feed so it may be a feeding thing or because they are all crowding him.
So who would you say the "boss" is if any ? The largest del ?

Reactions: clm08k and magpie

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
I have 11 and no serious aggression imo its more of personality thing. I had a pbb and endli that were complete jerks no matter what i did they were aggressive to the point of causing physical injury. Had as low as 3 and as many as 16 and it always boiled down to tje individual fish's behavior.
Even my ornate would beat on smaller polys regardless of how many polys were in the tank.

So who would you say the "boss" is if any ? The largest del ?
There is really very little going on between the polys in that manner that is obvious. Id say yeah in the polys its probably the big Del. Of the tank its the Ctenopoma. The topajo would like to think its him but he runs when the Ctenopoma has had enough. Its funny Topajo pics fights with every fish in the tank but the BN, most of the other fish leave/move when the Topajo starts pushing. The Ctenopoma bristles up turns sideways and just pushes right back after about the 3rd move in spots, all the polys just move like alright what ever.

Reactions: jaws7777

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
J jaws7777 , I hadnt noticed the on the bottom behavior, I will watch for it. My dominant endli does not like the weeksii on its face. :)

Reactions: clm08k

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Endli would likely nip the weeksii for this
Haaha sp for the most part croc doesnt like to be on the bottom ? How is he with being ontop ? G rated of course lol

Reactions: DMD123

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Updates some polys...some not soo much lol

Ghost congi and sp.delaware are getting really thick.
Candy bar is being stubborn about eating pellets...gonna have to do a starving period.
Screenshot_20170726-091741.png Screenshot_20170726-090930.png 20170726_092513.png Screenshot_20170726-091839.png

Meh shes just soo pretty
Screenshot_20170726-091211.png

Ahh the cats...im really enjoying them. Very different dynamic to them vs polys.

The juruense is becoming one of my favirote fish not only amongst the cats but even amongst the polys and cichlids.
Screenshot_20170726-110457.png Screenshot_20170726-110437.png

This comment goes to prove how little we know about the animals we keep lol. The group of jaguar cats was doing fine. All the research i did pointed to them benefiting from being kept in a group. The two females are awesome eat like pigs and are quite pushy and much more personable than the male. Yesterday things went wrong...noticed the 3 jags werent in there usually spot. Only the male was there, the two girls were hiding elsewhere. Then this happened. Had to tap the male with pair of tongs to get him to release her. Hes now in a 20 gal while i think this through.

Screenshot_20170726-101053.png

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
Those poly are looking huge! I see mine all the time and they look the same.... plus I have been feeding light as I finish the work around the house so that I also can have some light maintenance too. Those guys are getting to be quite the monsters!

Love the cats! a Vulture cat has always been on the wish list.

Reactions: jaws7777 and clm08k

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Updates some polys...some not soo much lol

Ghost congi and sp.delaware are getting really thick.
Candy bar is being stubborn about eating pellets...gonna have to do a starving period.
View attachment 1265252 View attachment 1265254 View attachment 1265251 View attachment 1265255

Meh shes just soo pretty
View attachment 1265253

Ahh the cats...im really enjoying them. Very different dynamic to them vs polys.

The juruense is becoming one of my favirote fish not only amongst the cats but even amongst the polys and cichlids.
View attachment 1265257 View attachment 1265258

This comment goes to prove how little we know about the animals we keep lol. The group of jaguar cats was doing fine. All the research i did pointed to them benefiting from being kept in a group. The two females are awesome eat like pigs and are quite pushy and much more personable than the male. Yesterday things went wrong...noticed the 3 jags werent in there usually spot. Only the male was there, the two girls were hiding elsewhere. Then this happened. Had to tap the male with pair of tongs to get him to release her. Hes now in a 20 gal while i think this through.

View attachment 1265256
I like the pics not the agression. I really don't know s lot on catfish behavior, is it possibly a mating thing? Looks mean and damage to boot but I don't know.

Reactions: jaws7777
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store