Water changes/auto drip

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
If you're worried about the fail-safe of your sump pit during a power outage with your drip system then there's another way to set it up; have the incoming water set up on a float valve in your [aquarium] sump, then run a small pump on a timer to run for X hours/minutes Y times per day pumping to waste to remove the desired amount of water from your tank. If there's no power then the pump won't run and it won't overflow your sump pit.

Reactions: jaws7777

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
If you're worried about the fail-safe of your sump pit during a power outage with your drip system then there's another way to set it up; have the incoming water set up on a float valve in your [aquarium] sump, then run a small pump on a timer to run for X hours/minutes Y times per day pumping to waste to remove the desired amount of water from your tank. If there's no power then the pump won't run and it won't overflow your sump pit.
Thx for the reply man.

Another thing to consider

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
How low does the bulkhead in the sump need to be for the water draining out ?

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
That's the part I always struggle with when considering drip systems. You need to have it low enough so when the power goes off there is enough space in the sump to take the water that drains down from the tank. You also need to have it high enough that there is enough water left in the sump to restart the system without the pump running dry....

Reactions: jaws7777

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
I run a 1.5" bulkhead with 1.5" pvc drain off my sump as high as I could place it. It easily handles the tank draining off when the pump is off and leaves all kinds of water for my sump to stay full enough for the power coming back on. It's actually another reason I like drip so much, I can run my sump almost full to the top. It's literally impossible to overflow it

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Man im book marking this thread for when i get closer to setting it up

Reactions: Bigfishnut

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
WHAT?! It's not done yet? I figured you'd have put that drip together a week ago! I guess I am gonna have to come down there..lol
hahhaha man ur not that far...caronas on ice !!

Reactions: Bigfishnut
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store