New Tank

Been_away2long

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2017
Hey everyone

New member here and decided to swap out one of my African cichlid tanks to keep some fish I've always liked but never kept. The tank is 72"Lx20"Wx20"H I purchased an albino tiger oscar and a regular tiger oscar the other day and was wondering if I could keep another oscar and if I could keep any other tank mates with them? I was thinking either 1 jack Dempsey or 2-4 silver dollar red hooks???

Covetous

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2016
Florida
Welcome and grats on the switch.
I have @ very similar setup for my Oscar tank. Mine is 72x24x24. I currently have a lutino tiger and a red Oscar. I'd gauge my red is around 13inches, about 15 years old. Give or take a few years. My lutino is about 10 inches. Probably 6-7 years old.
I also have two two young jack Dempseys. Both around 5 inches. However. I had two fully grown ones before this that didn't handle my last move. (They where around 12 years old)
And I had a very old Green Severum. (He actually just died last night :'( of old age)

So short answer, yes you can add another compatible fish. Jack Dempseys being compatible because I've done it and still am doing it. However, every fish has their own personality. As I tell every new large cichlid owner, it's all about what your specific fish will allow. I believe I have two make Oscars. Because I've never seen eggs. Yet they hang out like buddies, that doesn't mean EVERY two male Oscars will be this way. My Severum got chased around by my Oscars every once in a while but nothing ever serious. He lived just fine till a massive size. 11.5 inches.

I've also kept in the same tank;
Florida gar
Leapord shovel nose catfish.
Leporinus fasciatus
Pleco's (various types)
managuense (only I'll it was big enough to start bullying then he was removed. )

Believe it or not, from my experience the young ones are the ones you have trouble with being agressive. Once their big and old if they can't eat it right away they don't want to bother trying lol.

Good luck!

And rip Sev the Severum
IMG_20170127_171443938.jpg

Been_away2long

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2017
Thanks for the info and sorry about ur severum.. I'm thinking one more oscar and one JD and maybe a couple of loaches.

Circa4190

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2009
Carmel, Indiana
You could try a group of 4-6 Firemouths or Acara. They should do alright with your stock list.

Reactions: Covetous

kewpiefishypewpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2016
I would add silver dollars if anything, but not another cichlid.

kewpiefishypewpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2016
I'd do two max personally, honestly I would do one in that tank. That's me though.

Reactions: Covetous
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store