Building reptile cage

MC4RKiller

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2016
VA
I am thinking about building a custom reptile enclosure for my bearded dragon. She is quickly outgrowing her 40B and for the cost of online cages not to mention the wait time to get one I could easily purchase materials and do this myself.

I am planning to build one similar to what Boamaster puts out with a screen top and front opening door using .22" acrylic. However instead of melamine I will be using 1/2" Birch furniture grade plywood. I know I will need to paint the interior with something to make it moisture resistant and am wondering if Flex seal would be a good choice? My understanding is it is basically liquid rubber.

Anyone have any plans or past experiences with cage building? I am thinking about something in the dimensions of 45"Lx24"Wx22"H

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I am thinking about building a custom reptile enclosure for my bearded dragon. She is quickly outgrowing her 40B and for the cost of online cages not to mention the wait time to get one I could easily purchase materials and do this myself.

I am planning to build one similar to what Boamaster puts out with a screen top and front opening door using .22" acrylic. However instead of melamine I will be using 1/2" Birch furniture grade plywood. I know I will need to paint the interior with something to make it moisture resistant and am wondering if Flex seal would be a good choice? My understanding is it is basically liquid rubber.

Anyone have any plans or past experiences with cage building? I am thinking about something in the dimensions of 45"Lx24"Wx22"H

You could stain the wood with a waterproof wood stain.

Reactions: jwd

tomojsg

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2011
大韓民國 (서울) Korea
you glue vinyl to the wood thats what i did with previous enclosures i built.
it makes it easy to clean also.

Reactions: Dieselhybrid

shookONES

Casper... the not so friendly ghost
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Totowa, NJ
You need to be careful with what you use to seal the enclosure, as a lot of it will leach harmful gasses under higher humidity and temperature. I'm a big fan of Dry Lok, but there are a few viable options depending on budget. Pond Armor is great, but expensive. Dry Lok is relatively inexpensive but not the easiest to work with.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store