[Advice] Overflow for a 530gal Plywood Tank

Anix

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 11, 2017
Hello All,

I have no idea what I am doing....

No, I kid, but this is the first time I've built a tank this big. This build is a mixture of DIY and trying out new products/technologies. I've built the tank (8' x 4' x 3') out of 2x4s and 3/4 plywood. But I wanted a massive sump and external bio-reactor to try different setups and filtration methods as I want. I did this by contacting Steve over at Bashsea Aquatics. He is currently building me a sump (72" x 24" x 18") and I recently got in the 10-36 Bio Reactor (pic below). I am using 2 pumps (Vertec L1 for the return and M1 for the reactor).

So here is the rub. I have no idea how I should pipe the water from the display to the sump (3x 1.5" inlets). I could build a weir (and drill holes in the bottom or side of the tank) OR I could use an overflow box. I really like the idea of an overflow box, but really haven't seen anything that will work. I love the Synergy Reef Design, but I have 4-1/4" walls... so that won't work. I could modify one, but that's pretty expensive if I screw up. Again, I'd really rather not build a weir, but I am not really sure what to do. Also, I need to run the plumbing from the right side of the tank, rather than the back of the tank.

Any ideas?

Also, big thanks to JK47 JK47 for helping me with the stand design and all of the advice. Really appreciate the help.

Tank 01.jpg Tank 02.jpg Tank 03.jpg Tank 04.jpg Tank 05.jpg Tank 06.jpg Tank 07.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: jaws7777

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Nothing to contribute but i do love tha opening line... haha but clearly not true... looks like its gonna be a beast.of a tank

What do you plan on running the bio reactor for ? Strictly bio filtrarion ? If so whats the plan with the sump.

Anix

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 11, 2017
So the bio reactor is the main source of filtration. Bashsea produces a media that has about 30% more surface area than K1 Kaldnes. Its also quieter than a traditional floating bed setup and it simply looks bad ass running. The first chamber of the sump you'll find three massive filter socks, which I will probably clean out every other day or so. Second compartment will be for other, smaller, media reactors for chemical filtration (Purigen and carbon)... I might also run a Algea Scrubber, but I havent found a design I liked that will work with this setup (this may be something I design). If you've seen joey02 joey02 YouTube video from a few weeks ago, he unboxed a smaller version of what I am getting.

He and I have the same problem, what do we do with the third, large, compartment. I was thinking of keeping plants and small invertebrates, but I think the flow will just kill anything I put in there... so I'm not sure. I know I want to do UV, but Im thinking of just running that inline after the bioreactor.. we will see. I have a lot of options.

As far as circulation in the tank, I am going to use a gyre or two.

But getting water to the sump... that be the problem.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Whle had a thread going awhile ago talking about all sorts of stuff feom algae scrappers to purigen reactors and denitrate filters.
I tried a few mothods of purigen reactors and ran into stone walls. Either the flow was too high and the beads wouldnt tumble or flow was to low add the beads tumbled but gph wasnt high enough to absorb the organics before the bio converted it to ammonia.
https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/diy-algae-scrubber.683050/

Looking forward to watching this build.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store