New tank with sump is noisy.

eddiegunks

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2017
Tillson NY
Hey all

I am just setting up 125 gallon reef tank (fresh water). 6 foot long corner overflows.

I have three-quarter return lines. Danner 12 pump (1200 gallons per hour ). 4.5 feet of head.

The overflow start says one and a half inch sanitary tee that necks down to 1 inch pipe, it goes to a 1 inch bulkhead that goes into the sump. I went with the sanitary tea just to try to have the water flow a little bit nicer into the pipe hoping to keep the flow levels off while reducing the noise. Maybe I made a mistake?

If My overflows pull a full siphon, it overruns my pump and begins to gurgle as the overflow fills up, because it looses full siphon.

I drill the tiny air hole in the top of my caps to prevent it from pulling a full siphon. I am still getting a little gurgling sound and the water level inside of the overflow fluctuate slightly on my right overflow intermittently.

I could mitigate all of this by screwing a half inch barb fitting to my intake of my pump. I would rather not do this because I would like to keep the flow rate where it is.

What are my options? Should I install a ball valve on One of my 1 inch overflow pipes? If I install the ball valve, could I regulate that side to force a full siphon on the other side? The only problem I see with a full siphon on one side is the water level inside of the overflow goes down considerably and then the noise from the falling water inside the overflow goes up.

Another possible option is regulating the flow from one overflow with the ball valve just slightly to try to keep the overflow volume consistent. Maybe this will help alleviate the gurgle.

As always, thanks for the insight.

Eddie

Edit: None of this is extremely loud by any means. My wife is just inquiring. It is the first time we are using some style filter in the house. I am just trying to make it as good as possible.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
If it were my tank i would turn the 3/4 stand pipes into full siphons, use the 1 inch stand pipes as emergancy/dry drains and run the return plumbing up and over the back of the tank.

Im sure this isnt an exact science (flow rates) but heres a pic of a chart that myself and other members have referenced in the past for close guesstimates. Middle column
GPHpipe.png

You can try lowering the full siphon drain stand pipes that may help create some pressure and purge the air. Just a thought.

Reactions: eddiegunks

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
eddiegunks eddiegunks im all ears brother

Reactions: eddiegunks

eddiegunks

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2017
Tillson NY
J jaws7777

Thanks for your response in my thread. I think I have the system up and running as best I can get it now.

As we were discussing in the other thread, there were several things that I could've done differently. I probably should not have glued my standpipes together. If they were not glued together I could adjust them to help control the the distance of the falling water into the overflows.

If I lower the standpipes as you suggested, that would make my falling water problem even worse. I think raising them would be the correct solution.

I did add air to my standpipes in an effort to slow down the safe in effect. Obviously this has added a slight amount of noise the system, but with the lid on it it is not bad at all and has barely audible in the room. I think most of the noise that comes from this aquarium comes from my danner 1200 pump.

The tank just cycled and we just added Fish a few days ago.

My newest mistake was using submerged bio balls. Turns out that's not the way to use bio balls. I know you all know that.

I'm beginning to swap out that for some of the pumice like rocks that was suggested in another thread by an MFK member.

IMG_9956.JPG

Reactions: bbortko

eddiegunks

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2017
Tillson NY
Thanks for the link to the flow chart. That is helpful. I am currently working on an indoor pond where I discovered the discrepancies in the flow chart info. This particular set up for the pond Has a 2 inch pipe coming out on the horizontal that operates under full siphon. It flows far more water than I anticipated. What do you think full siphon horizontal flow would flow at?

I am having trouble finding the actual head loss of the DCP 10,000 pump that I'm using. As a result I can't figure out what the pipe is actually flowing. I have a Danner 1800 and the DCP 10,000 pump running at 70%. Those two pumps running together with a 4 foot head loss is basically what a 2 inch pipe is able to flow on a horizontal at full siphon.

Thx

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
No i dont know the gph in a horizontal run.

I thought lowering the stand pipe and closing the gate would add pressure to the siphon line and at the same time raise the water level in the overflow but i forgot your not running the siphons the way i pictured it.

tarheel96

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2015
North Carolina
eddiegunks said:
I'm beginning to swap out that for some of the pumice like rocks that was suggested in another thread by an MFK member.
I would strongly suggest 'screened' pumice around 1/4". If it's not screened the pieces will be various sizes up to 1/4" and some of it can be almost like dirt. You can screen it yourself bit the pre-screened pumice doesn't cost much more.

This is the kind you want but it's probably way more than you need.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...3.TR0.TRC0.H0.TRS0&_nkw=322357068345&_sacat=0

The other thing I should point out is that pumice holds an incredible amount of dust which can be difficult to rinse out. If you do get pumice let me know and I'll post the method I used to rinse it completely free of dust.

eddiegunks

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2017
Tillson NY
I would strongly suggest 'screened' pumice around 1/4". If it's not screened the pieces will be various sizes up to 1/4" and some of it can be almost like dirt. You can screen it yourself bit the pre-screened pumice doesn't cost much more.

This is the kind you want but it's probably way more than you need.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...3.TR0.TRC0.H0.TRS0&_nkw=322357068345&_sacat=0

The other thing I should point out is that pumice holds an incredible amount of dust which can be difficult to rinse out. If you do get pumice let me know and I'll post the method I used to rinse it completely free of dust.
sorry. i did not know what to call it. it is not pumice. it is this stuff:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072BKTHL4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

eddiegunks

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2017
Tillson NY
I'm still working on my pond. I revamped my sump To use K1 media.

I filled a 75 gallon aquarium shut the pumps off and timed the drain. I am using a 2 inch drain that's horizontal. It drained approximately 60 gallons in 50 seconds. If it had drained 60 gallons in 60 seconds it would be 3600 gallons per hour. Because it did it slightly faster i'm going to say it's running approximately 4320 gallons per hour. Sound right?

I added a second drain just in case the new pump that I got pump slightly more than the drain can handle.

Thx

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store