New Build ~ 600 Gallon

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
Looking good! You ever sell any of your pups, my daughter wants a ray after diving with and feeding sw rays.
Thanks Joe. Yeah I sell them all. I have a couple hold backs but eventually somebody talks me out of those too. Your daughter has good taste!

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
Full tank shot from tonight. We traveled this weekend and it was nice having the apex to monitor them. These ladies are tucked away to eat and play in the flow

I'm switching to the next tank build but will still update when I have everything finished.

IMG_4894.JPG

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Glad the rays are liking the new tank. Not sure how many toddlers on crack I've seen but definitely enough to know what you mean.
Come to my house hahah it will leave you damaged for life.

JK47 JK47 simply amazing. Also love the all black theme it really show cases the fish

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
and it was using my phone! Now that I'm on my computer its even more impressive. Looking at the last pic of the rays and aro in that tank you would never guess its 600g those fish are huge!

Reactions: JK47

aldiaz33

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2007
Bay Area
Hey Justin,
The Setup and fish look great!
I also use the Matala high density (grey) mat in my sump and I've found that after about 2 years it starts to soften up, after about 3 years it starts to get really soft to the point that it stops holding it's form and after 4 years it pretty much starts to disintegrate with small pieces coming off of it (almost to the point of being as soft as pillow matting). The frame is a great idea, but when the matala starts to break down, I don't think it will be rigid enough for the zip ties to hold it in place. I know this issue probably won't come up for some time, but it might be worth having a spare sheet of the grey mat cut to size and ready to swap out just in case you start to see K1 getting through.

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
Hey Justin,
The Setup and fish look great!
I also use the Matala high density (grey) mat in my sump and I've found that after about 2 years it starts to soften up, after about 3 years it starts to get really soft to the point that it stops holding it's form and after 4 years it pretty much starts to disintegrate with small pieces coming off of it (almost to the point of being as soft as pillow matting). The frame is a great idea, but when the matala starts to break down, I don't think it will be rigid enough for the zip ties to hold it in place. I know this issue probably won't come up for some time, but it might be worth having a spare sheet of the grey mat cut to size and ready to swap out just in case you start to see K1 getting through.
Good to know, thank you for sharing that with me. The frames should make it easier to swap out of it comes to that down the road. I have a 180 gallon sump I am working on right now and thought about skipping the frames. Guess I'll be sticking to the initial plan on that one

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Good to know, thank you for sharing that with me. The frames should make it easier to swap out of it comes to that down the road. I have a 180 gallon sump I am working on right now and thought about skipping the frames. Guess I'll be sticking to the initial plan on that one
Is matala any sturdier than poret foam ?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store