Heating a 180gallon

Swoll929

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
+1 on glass lids. Cheap and effective. Remember evaporation is a cooling process. The glass will minimize evap. And help insulate.

Put a canopy on later for aesthetics.

Rosan Shrestha

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2017
+1 on glass lids. Cheap and effective. Remember evaporation is a cooling process. The glass will minimize evap. And help insulate.

Put a canopy on later for aesthetics.
is glass that good of a insulator?
I mean doesn't heat pass through glass really fast?

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
is glass that good of a insulator?
I mean doesn't heat pass through glass really fast?
Compared to what? There are better but for the purposes here no its probably the best choice. Like I said and Swoll929 Swoll929 said part of the issue is cooling from evaporation glass top will help eliminate that part of the equation and keep the water where it needs to be. My fish tank stays at 76-78 year round my house is typically at 68-73 depending what time of year, has glass lids and the air between the glass and water is noticeably warmer then the air in the room. Glass is a better insulator then air, Acrylic is better then glass, if you didn't need to see in the tank foam insulation would be a good choice.....lol. For your purposes glass would be the cheapest and easiest way to help. You can get sheets of acrylic and make tops remember though its not as ridged as glass so it will bend and warp allowing air in/out leading to cooler or hotter air at water surface and evaporative cooling.

Reactions: Swoll929

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
When I lived in Milwaukee my basement ambient temp would drop into the low 50sF, I taped styrofoam insulation paneling on the back, sides, and bottom of tanks I needed to keep warm, and the styrofoam did wonders keeping temps up, even with the front panel exposed for insulation. I'd always spray paint the tank facing panels black, which also worked great for the way I like the fish photos I take.
[/URL[URL=http://s70.photobucket.com/user/dstuer/media/Haitiensis/haits0012.jpg.html][/URL]

Jerkinthetank

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2012
Wisconsin
I think you'll be alright with just a glass lid. In my opinion canopies are extremely expensive for what they are. Some that I've seen are more expensive than the stand. For a 180 gal 6x2 tank the glass lids are ~$70. The canopy that matched my stand was priced at $330. I quickly looked up the price of glass lids and said no to the canopy.
Where did you get your lids?

itrebebag99

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2017
Illinois
I'd put a canopy/lid on just for aesthetic reasons, if nothing else. But yes, I'm sure the cooler water is due to there not being a lid.

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
Can you post a picture of the top of your tank? I'm trying to visualize the wood only canopy? Also, wouldn't wood warp too from direct tank humidity. Or, do you mean glass cover with a wood top?

I wanted to see your tank for ideas of how the glass would fit on you tank and aesthetics.

Jhay3513

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2017
Charlotte, NC
I have 2 300w heaters in my 100 ish gallon system with glass lids on the display. I'm about to buy a glass lid for my sump as well to further minimize evap and quiet it down some

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store