Do you add aquarium salt to your freshwater tank?

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
I agree that for injuries using salt has some purpose. People seem to have good results using it for that. And for ich, obviously, that's a strong medical reason. But assuming no medical reason, why use salt? I just don't see the reason.

As for fish being more active, everyone has a tendency to see what they want. Not like a delusion and not intentional, but we all tend to shape memories and experiences to fit what we want them to be. That's just how we all seem to be built. That's why placebo is a real thing.

It might be true that salt makes fish more active (or just the opposite), or it might be that people want to think that. Who knows unless some controlled studies are done?

And who knows what the long term effect of constant low-levels of salt are to freshwater fish?
i dont' disagree, in fact i read that if the salt level is low it may actually make the bacteria tolerant to salt and a salt treatment will be less effective...

but i have to say, since i start using salt, i have no more issues with wounds, whereas before i started using salt, the wounds would actually generate to some other diseases and i will have to start QT the fish...

but i am still half minded if to dose salt on a regular basis or should i do it on a necessary basis

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; Back around 50 years ago I used some salt as that was the word going around. An experienced fish keeper did not use it so I stopped. I have not added salt in around the last 50 years except in the hospital tanks from time to time.

Also some species are known to be more sensitive to salt. You may want to look up the specs on your fish and check.

Reactions: tlindsey

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I only use salt if treating for disease or injury, and then I use either water softener salt, or rock salt.(NaCl).
If the tap water where you live is totally devoid of any mineral content and you are trying to keep hard water fish, salt might help keep osmotic pressure at a more normal leve, but before adding salt, checking with your water supplier would seem to me to be prudent before adding anything..

Reactions: tlindsey and kno4te

reptilerescued

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2014
nepa
Only as needed do I add salt.

Dosed those Jags light 1st water change heavy the 2nd water change.
Skipped yesterday and no salt today with the change.

Of course if you read the thread like me you'd be surprised they were even alive.

But no not every time I do tank Mant. I only salt when needed.
Rich

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I only use salt if treating for disease or injury, and then I use either water softener salt, or rock salt.(NaCl).
+1

Reactions: kno4te

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
then any idea why qianhu / ocean free advertise the salt as one of the most important water conditioner for aquarium fishes?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store