Salt treatment and BB

HoundsNTrout

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2016
Tug Hill NY
www.Adirondackkennel.com
Does anyone have experience with using salt at a rate of 10pounds per 100 Gallons and having issues with BB the filter?

I have been using that for my trout ( browns, rainbows and Brookies ) for 3 years every month or so just as a preventative, as does both hatchery's where I often get eggs.

Reason I ask is, today I did same as usual ( the big difference is the water temperature lately has been 3-4 degrees warmer at around 62 ish ) but I got a big spike in ammonia AND Nitrites. So I think its obvious it killed some or all of the bb.

Is there a safe number to add in order to just keep the natural slime coat,etc. at healthy levels and also for maybe periods of stress?

I am going to switch to hydrogen peroxide like I did before with no issues and its a lot less expensive. I simply empty tank in half. Add it and let bubble for one hour then slowly add water and pump out to dilute it. Never had a problem with that.

With salt it normally is advised to leave it in for 5 days to a week.

Thanks.

Yoimbrian

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2013
Twin cities
Hatcheries may have more stress due to constant change and over stocking, and a different filtration system.

10 pounds per 100 gallons is over 1 wt% salt - pretty extreme for an aquarium. The standard recommendation for ich treatment if you are using salt is about 0.1% - .2%....so 1 pound per 100 gallons.

I'm also confused by your 12% solution comment...you can't divide pounds into gallons and get a %...at least not a meaningful one. Perhaps you are mis understanding what they do??

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store