How to convince parents to get another aquarium

Grinch

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2014
NJ
Used good-will dresser is probably about the same cost as new cinder blocks and easier to sell your parents on as it has a use other than holding a fish tank. You will need to put some weight on the dresser and feel whether or not it is structurally sound. Basically, once you put some weight on it, if it's shaky or moves around much when you give it a little nudge, it's not suitable. The tank will weigh about 300 pounds. Find some friends that weigh more than that combined and climb aboard to test it out.

Reactions: GamerChick5567

imabot

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2017
I found a free aquarium stand on craiglist. It's 25 inches wide by 16 inches deep and 30.25 inches high.

Grinch

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2014
NJ
That's for a 20g H or 15g.... wrong dims for a 29g

Reactions: GamerChick5567

GamerChick5567

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2016
Tustin, CA
A sturdy dresser can support a 29 gallon. Cheap at good will if you don't have one.
Yep. Sturdy dresser or large countertop that can handle the weight should be fine. Just make sure you can level it easily. A 29 gallon should weigh only around 350lbs max (remember, 20lbs of gravel, heavy rock, decor and stuff) so your floor will be fine, some people get wayyyy fatter than that LMAO. :p

I suppose you could probably build a stand without large power tools too if you could get all the wood precut someplace with the right dimensions. Assuming you have access to some basic stuff like a drill, workbench or place to work on the ground, wood glue, sanding tools, spray paint etc.

Right now I have my 20 long on an old 1970's metal lab table. My dad works for uci, he got it from one of the science buildings, they were just gunna toss it. Maybe your school would have some sort of table they are getting rid of that you could bring home? Like if they have recently remodeled one of the buildings there?

Reactions: Backfromthedead

imabot

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2017
So I just reliazed I never updated so sorry about that. I asked and they said no. I found this 50 g and emailed my dad.
Here's the text:

Hello Dad,

How are you doing? I’ll get straight to the point: https://modesto.craigslist.org/hsh/6162356001.html. This would be an incredible bargain with less than one dollar per gallon including an rolling custom stand.This is about a hour and an half drive both ways. I know that this is an large amount of time and would greatly appreciate it.I will keep it in the garage to not irritate anybody. I would be willing to furnish the entire aquarium cost such as the aquarium and stand, the filter: https://www.amazon.com/Marineland-P...t-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1492990595&sr=1-5&th=1, heater (free), test kit https://www.amazon.com/API-Freshwater-Master-Test-Kit/dp/B000255NCI, and an therometer https://www.amazon.com/Marina-Float...98954597&sr=1-4&keywords=aquarium+thermometer and an airstone with an air pump to come out to about 120 dollars. I will not ask for permission for another aquarium for at least one year, do weekly water changes, feed livestock as needed, and research potential livestock if you allow me to buy this aquarium and stand. I would like to thank you for your time and consideration. You may want to make up your mind quickly as this might get bought quickly.
Sincerely,imabot
Kind of poorly written but I never liked writing.
His reply:

Hello Dear Son,
Thank you for your kind email. I will also get straight to the point.
You already have a brand new aquarium.
Since you are so thoughtful, I will be happy to buy you about $20 worth of fish or other accessories for your aquarium as long as you promise not to ask for any thing else until the end of July 2017.
Best Regards,
Dad's name
I didn't take him up on his offer though. So whatever. Thanks for the help.

Swoll929

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
Lol i love this thread, it was an enjoyable read.
If i may, you have an issue i had as a young man. I did what i was supposed to and tried to make a "sensible" bulletproof arguement just as you have. However just as you have, i constantly set the bar too high. When this thread started different fish would have been enough to satisfy you and the arguement. Your father has given you the original answer you wanted, but now that you have set the bar too high the original is no longer good enough.
You should not let pride hold you back from opportunity. By passing on the offer you are now literally accepting nothing for your effort. $20 dollars of different fish would still be better than nothing and likely save the goldfish you originally wanted to save.

Additionally, it is your parent's home and 50g may be scary to them and you should try and be grateful for opportunities even if they are not exactly what you want.

In any case, chin up, go give your mom and dad a hug and kiss, and tell them you love them. You only get 1 real mom and dad. Good luck!

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I'm going for smaller tanks now rather than more big ones, and my dad is letting me use a garage shelf provided I fix it up for use :)

Maybe you'll get more chances someday

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
That's what my classmates were willing to pay for, also part of why I was always in trouble. The hardest part really was the lighters. A 13 year old in NY can walk into a store and buy a machete, but a lighter you need ID to buy. I had to get them illegally lol.

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
That's what my classmates were willing to pay for, also part of why I was always in trouble. The hardest part really was the lighters. A 13 year old in NY can walk into a store and buy a machete, but a lighter you need ID to buy. I had to get them illegally lol.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store