Jurunese catfish not settled down

IsaacHZJ

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2016
Got this 6 inch juru catfish almost a week ago but it has yet to settle down and eat. May I know what should I do to get it settled down?

image.jpg

image.jpg

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
I recently got a jur as well. Other members advised to spot feed it...basically droo the food on its head lol. At 1st i did this then shut all the lights and could tell it ate the next day due to the belly bump. From what others said they dont seek out food to well.

Do u have areas in the tank it can perch on ? How have you been feeding it ? Whats have you tried ?
Mine wont touch pellets bur has eaten tilapia and shrimp.

Reactions: IsaacHZJ

IsaacHZJ

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2016
I recently got a jur as well. Other members advised to spot feed it...basically droo the food on its head lol. At 1st i did this then shut all the lights and could tell it ate the next day due to the belly bump. From what others said they dont seek out food to well.

Do u have areas in the tank it can perch on ? How have you been feeding it ? Whats have you tried ?
Mine wont touch pellets bur has eaten tilapia and shrimp.
It's currently pivoting itself on top of that power head in the picture. I tried putting some ghost shrimp, market prawn, and feeders infront of it using tongs but it just won't take it. I hope it would eat one day and not starve...

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
It's currently pivoting itself on top of that power head in the picture. I tried putting some ghost shrimp, market prawn, and feeders infront of it using tongs but it just won't take it. I hope it would eat one day and not starve...
Take at thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter threads on juruense. Some good ideads on creating perches

thebiggerthebetter

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Assuming your water is adequate, a week of settling down is not unheard of. Jurs can fast even for 6 months. So 1-2 weeks is no biggie. But if it doesn't eat after ~2 weeks, something is likely off. Unless it was on live feeder fish and you are now training it to accept non-live. That may take some time, work, and patience.

IsaacHZJ

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2016
Assuming your water is adequate, a week of settling down is not unheard of. Jurs can fast even for 6 months. So 1-2 weeks is no biggie. But if it doesn't eat after ~2 weeks, something is likely off. Unless it was on live feeder fish and you are now training it to accept non-live. That may take some time, work, and patience.
Woah I didn't know they can fast that long. Ok I'll wait and see... hopefully it'll accept the food soon

Dloks

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2011
in a car
Man I was worried about my Juru when I first got him. He didn't eat for a day but what I did was I grabbed a chopstick (yes I'm asian) I broke off the tip enough to make sharp edge, pierced a piece of shrimp on the edge and just handfed it. Fastforward 5 days later after handfeeding it now I can drop a piece of shrimp on any side of the tank it within a min it'll be devoured. He has became the most active fish in my tank occasionally attacking my armatus even though he's almost twice as big as my Juruense. Still today he is swimming upward on the glass or towards the powerhead. This technique has worked with my brother Troy1015 Troy1015 and myself.

Troy1015

Banned
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2011
Seattle
Man I was worried about my Juru when I first got him. He didn't eat for a day but what I did was I grabbed a chopstick (yes I'm asian) I broke off the tip enough to make sharp edge, pierced a piece of shrimp on the edge and just handfed it. Fastforward 5 days later after handfeeding it now I can drop a piece of shrimp on any side of the tank it within a min it'll be devoured. He has became the most active fish in my tank occasionally attacking my armatus even though he's almost twice as big as my Juruense. Still today he is swimming upward on the glass or towards the powerhead. This technique has worked with my brother Troy1015 Troy1015 and myself.

Same got one last week used the chopstick method and its eating like a pig. It didn't eat yesterday which worried me a bit so I will check in later. I was treating for ich which I know cats can be finicky with but its gone.Today I will do water change and see if it eats after. Try the spot feeding and be patient. Mine was also getting picked on by a NGT and indo but its settled in nicely. Ill update the status again later. Check water params and give it time as they seem to have a personality some what like a datnoid.

Troy1015

Banned
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2011
Seattle
Just got home and hand fed my juru. Make sure the shrimp or tilapia is not to big. I get excited and start to give it pieces it can't swallow. Used a small one and like a champ. Be patient it will settle in and eat.

IsaacHZJ

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2016
Same got one last week used the chopstick method and its eating like a pig. It didn't eat yesterday which worried me a bit so I will check in later. I was treating for ich which I know cats can be finicky with but its gone.Today I will do water change and see if it eats after. Try the spot feeding and be patient. Mine was also getting picked on by a NGT and indo but its settled in nicely. Ill update the status again later. Check water params and give it time as they seem to have a personality some what like a datnoid.
Thanks for the advice!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store