My bold prediction.. Asian Arowanas will be legal in USA

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
There are practically none in the wild. Yes they are farm bred but that doesn't save their farm status

Reactions: Bigfishnut

runninlow

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2012
minnesota
i wont fight this endless battle, but when was the last count? i'm pretty sure the last time someone went out there to do a count was 50 years ago.
also wouldn't you want hobbyist to have some of these animals since they are endangered? its not like we are going out and killing them for trophy's, we are keeping them in our house as a living trophy, i'm sure if anyone has or owns one that fish eats better then them.
a good example of this issue is the white cloud minnow. Last time i heard they don't even exist in the wild anymore and is captive bred "only" now, but you still see that they are sold at petsmart or petco.

this is just my rant, we will never be able to own this fish in the US. /cry emoji we can never ever have anything nice here!!! j/k

MariaS

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2015
South Africa
There are practically none in the wild. Yes they are farm bred but that doesn't save their farm status
Oh Hendre Hendre ... do you really think they will ever become extinct in the farms all over Asia?
Their love and many religious beliefs around the Arowana together with the income these countries make out of breeding them.. they will never become extinct in farms....
In some cultures the Arowana is almost like a God to them..
Maybe im wrong but I really dont think so...

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Oh Hendre Hendre ... do you really think they will ever become extinct in the farms all over Asia?
LOL!

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
I never got the Asian aro obsession. There are so many nice, cheaper easier to care for fish, why does everyone want this one? For those for whom it has religious or traditional significance I get it but what about everyone else?

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
I want what I can't have. That's it. Pure and honest. No sugar coating

I believe they are aesthetically the most beautiful arowana. But I'll admit that could also be influenced by them being unattainable.

I'm sure I was probably wrong with this prediction, but I'm not afraid to make them. Attempting to predict market trends and fluctuations is how I've earned my way. Part of how I think. You win some, you lose some. This one is a longshot, but I hope we have the right to own these animals in my country some day. Until then, I'll just drool over MariaS MariaS 's big red :)

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
I want what I can't have. That's it. Pure and honest. No sugar coating

I believe they are aesthetically the most beautiful arowana. But I'll admit that could also be influenced by them being unattainable.

I'm sure I was probably wrong with this prediction, but I'm not afraid to make them. Attempting to predict market trends and fluctuations is how I've earned my way. Part of how I think. You win some, you lose some. This one is a longshot, but I hope we have the right to own these animals in my country some day. Until then, I'll just drool over MariaS MariaS 's big red :)
Well put

Reactions: Dieselhybrid

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Lemme rephrase. With the status and cost of owning such a fish the farms will keep breeding these, however their stunning features and high price will mean introducing them to the wild will be extremely difficult to say the least

MariaS

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2015
South Africa
Lemme rephrase. With the status and cost of owning such a fish the farms will keep breeding these, however their stunning features and high price will mean introducing them to the wild will be extremely difficult to say the least

Ok.. I see what you mean.. there you have a point...
I think the only way for them to be introduced back into the wild would be a breeding program aimed at just that but then... I suppose it will be an expensive exercise that needs funding
And then.. they would probably start catching them again to sell in the black market.
I guess its a catch 22 situation

Reactions: J. H. and Hendre

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Ok.. I see what you mean.. there you have a point...
I think the only way for them to be introduced back into the wild would be a breeding program aimed at just that but then... I suppose it will be an expensive exercise that needs funding
And then.. they would probably start catching them again to sell in the black market.
I guess its a catch 22 situation
Their success is their own demise unfortunately.

Someone mentioned white clouds being gone in the wild, but they are smaller and commercially bred to the point where wild harvesting may not deplete populations if they are reintroduced

Reactions: MariaS
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store