Hoplias Teres

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Looks like an Australis to me. Has the underbite and round head Australis are known to have. The fold looks like mid breath so I can't say off of that.

Reactions: tlindsey

jelly

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2005
Herts, UK
www.Hoplias.webs.com
I have possibly viewed every image of australis on the web . As much as I try to convince myself otherwise unless Teres looks remarkably like australis, I think it's Australis. It's a shame, was hoping it would be Teres.

I'll still grab it, still a great wolf to bring home and I'll get a clear under jaw shot.

Reactions: moe214

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
I have awolf that looks VERY similar...... Sold to me as Intermedius.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
There's definitely some overlap. Could be right DB junkie DB junkie . Just can't tell by looks.

tvbbnumber41

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2008
Over the rainbow
The underbite looks awesome. I wish we could put these mysteries to rest with some good old genome sequencing. I wonder if people have done it. Might make a cool thesis paper for a PhD student. But nonetheless awesome fish! Keep us updated

jelly

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2005
Herts, UK
www.Hoplias.webs.com
I picked it up on the weekend. I had tried to get some pics of the underjaw through a clear bottom tank but the light was crap, visually I wasn't really able to see it, I fished it out aswell, still difficult. I suspect 4-5 pores. I am letting it settle and I will try and get some shots, fortunately it seems to sit upright with its head raised in the air. I would say the previous underjaw shot is a good representation of the alignment. I would say there is a definite U rather than V.

The fish was exported from Venezuela originally. Does anybody know, is it typical for a northern i.e Columbian, Venezuelan exporter to export fish from the southern regions.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store