Changing substrate pH advice please

jmf

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
Hi People,

I'm changing my planted tank substrate from seachem flourite capped with aragonite to ADA aqua soil Amazonia (normal and powder) capped with play sand tomorrow for my new corys. I'll be keeping the existing fish in a large tote while the ammonia settles from the ADA soil.

I'm worried about is the sudden change of pH because of not having the aragonite. This tank already has guppies, shrimp and Mystery snails.

What would be the best way to get the fish etc used to the lower pH? I'm also worried about calcium etc for the shrimp and snails without the aragonite, how do I increase KH and GH with aragonite?

Any hints or advice on what I'm planning to do or advice on the ADA soil.

jmf

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
Hang some crushed oyster shell in a bag in your filter. The amount will vary to how much you need to stabilize your ph. I believe it's still available on Amazon
I'm only using a sponge filter, so would it work just to put a bag into the tank? I'm in Australia so Amazon isn't an option :(

jmf

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
You can probably just mix it into your substrate. But it'll do the same thing anywhere in the water column.
I would be worried about my new corys I might try hanging it in the tank

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
Rapid changes in pH is common and not dangerous to most freshwater fish. This has been tested often.

I'm talking about changes of, for example, a fish who lives in water that is 7 being dumped immediately into water that is 9, or fish that normally are in ph 8 into water that is pH 6. Not gradually, but immediate immersion.

Many fish species can live in very wide ranges (~5 to 9), some 4.5 - 10.5.

While fry and eggs do not do well like that, mature fish do not seem to have issues.

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
Rapid changes in pH is common and not dangerous to most freshwater fish. This has been tested often.

I'm talking about changes of, for example, a fish who lives in water that is 7 being dumped immediately into water that is 9, or fish that normally are in ph 8 into water that is pH 6. Not gradually, but immediate immersion.

Many fish species can live in very wide ranges (~5 to 9), some 4.5 - 10.5.

While fry and eggs do not do well like that, mature fish do not seem to have issues.
Absolutely correct. People worry WAY too much about pH. I always tell people to ignore pH...it will get you in more trouble trying to adjust or chase an optimal pH. Better off to go with the pH of the water that is most available...your tap, and however your substrate, rocks, wood, or whatever else is in your tank effects your pH, your fish will likely adapt. The only times you'll have a problem is if pH is extreme. Like 4 or 10. I've kept rays and discus in everything from 6.0 to 8.0 with absolutely no problem...that includes wild caught.

Reactions: Drstrangelove

jmf

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
Thanks people. Yeah, I don't want to chase pH. Thinking about it more, I'm more concerned about calcium as I have had shell issues with some of my snails.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store