240G with 75 sump, WHY do I still have high nitrates?

tarheel96

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2015
North Carolina
justarn said:
I've seen 45ppm out the tap here in kent UK. Our legal limit is much higher than the USA at 50ppm!
In the US the EPA's limit of 10 mg/L refers to nitrate-nitrogen (NO3-N), not nitrate (NO3). So the limit is actually 45 ppm, not 10. NO3-N is only a measurement of the nitrogen atoms within the nitrate ions. It doesn't measure the other 3 oxygen atoms. This makes NO3-N 4.42 times less than NO3 so:

10 ppm NO3-N x 4.42 = 44.2 ppm NO3.

It's rounded up to 45 ppm nitrate for whatever reason.

*On annual water reports and water tests nitrate is almost always listed as nitrate-nitrogen (NO3-N). This means you need to multiply your listed nitrate number by 4.42 to convert to nitrate. California does not list nitrate as nitrate-nitrogen on water reports.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
In the US the EPA's limit of 10 mg/L refers to nitrate-nitrogen (NO3-N), not nitrate (NO3). So the limit is actually 45 ppm, not 10. NO3-N is only a measurement of the nitrogen atoms within the nitrate ions. It doesn't measure the other 3 oxygen atoms. This makes NO3-N 4.42 times less than NO3 so:

10 ppm NO3-N x 4.42 = 44.2 ppm NO3.

It's rounded up to 45 ppm nitrate for whatever reason.

*On annual water reports and water tests nitrate is almost always listed as nitrate-nitrogen (NO3-N). This means you need to multiply your listed nitrate number by 4.42 to convert to nitrate. California does not list nitrate as nitrate-nitrogen on water reports.
Wow that's crazy. I wonder if that's why ive been seeing more about it lately. There was something in the news about babies dying of nitrate poisoning they call it something not sure atm what it is though. Their bodies cant get rid of it and it effects the bloods ability to carry oxygen. wonder if someone is trying to get it reduced somehow. I know in my tap on an api test kit it doesn't show any, but that's an api test kit. I live in flint but my water isn't from flint I'm still on the "old" system so I'm good, but I sent it in for a free test anyway. I think they showed 5ppm ill have to dig it up. annual water report didn't show anything significant either but I didn't look closely at the n03-n or if it stated n03 but I think it said less then 10, but that'd still be 40 ish......

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Wow that's crazy. I wonder if that's why ive been seeing more about it lately. There was something in the news about babies dying of nitrate poisoning they call it something not sure atm what it is though. Their bodies cant get rid of it and it effects the bloods ability to carry oxygen. wonder if someone is trying to get it reduced somehow. I know in my tap on an api test kit it doesn't show any, but that's an api test kit. I live in flint but my water isn't from flint I'm still on the "old" system so I'm good, but I sent it in for a free test anyway. I think they showed 5ppm ill have to dig it up. annual water report didn't show anything significant either but I didn't look closely at the n03-n or if it stated n03 but I think it said less then 10, but that'd still be 40 ish......
My well water tested for a round 5 ppm. I wasmt comfortable with the kids drinking it tho. Put a whole home nitrate removal system in

tarheel96

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2015
North Carolina
twentyleagues said:
It is a confusing way to list nitrate ... as only 22.6% of the actual nitrate level. Why not just multiply the number by 4.42 and list the actual nitrate level?

Nitrate is usually listed on water reports as 'Nitrate, as nitrogen' . This is NO3-N. Nitrite is listed the same way: 'Nitrite, as nitrogen' or NO2-N.

The API Nitrate test measures NO3 so you can trust it. If your API Nitrate test is reading zero then your tap water doesn't contain any nitrate.

Chloramines will result in a small amount of nitrate if you have them. The ammonia will be oxidized into nitrate ... 1mg ammonia into 3.64mg nitrate. The best way to check if you have chloramines is to use the API ammonia test. If your tap water tests positive for ammonia then you have chloramines.

Reactions: twentyleagues

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
It is a confusing way to list nitrate ... as only 22.6% of the actual nitrate level. Why not just multiply the number by 4.42 and list the actual nitrate level?

Nitrate is usually listed on water reports as 'Nitrate, as nitrogen' . This is NO3-N. Nitrite is listed the same way: 'Nitrite, as nitrogen' or NO2-N.

The API Nitrate test measures NO3 so you can trust it. If your API Nitrate test is reading zero then your tap water doesn't contain any nitrate.

Chloramines will result in a small amount of nitrate if you have them. The ammonia will be oxidized into nitrate ... 1mg ammonia into 3.64mg nitrate. The best way to check if you have chloramines is to use the API ammonia test. If your tap water tests positive for ammonia then you have chloramines.
I do have chloramines. I use a 3 stage filter to remove any chlorine and chloramines a 1 micron sediment and 2 carbon filters, a refillable one and a coconut carbon one. Tests at zero on both after filters. I still use some prime though when I change water.

VRWC

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2009
The 9ᵗʰ Colony
www.youtube.com
So I bought 2 new API test kits on my way home tonight because Ive had the others several years and wanted to see if either the fact that

a) I was down to about 20% nitrate test liquid in both sets or
b) their 06/2021 & 04/2020 expiration dates were an issue.

Photo is from 30 minutes ago. Its 4 different tests. Last water change was 8 days ago and of 60%. Usually the readings (using old tests) would be 60-80ppm (as seen in right side tubes) at this point.

I also retested from the tap and it was fluorescent yellow, so 0ppm or super close to it.

The 2 tubes on the right are the old nitrate tests (06/2021 & 04/2020 expiration dates) with 20% test liquid left in each set.

The 2 tubes on the left are the 2 brand new nitrate tests.

Looks like the fact that the test kit was down to the bottom 20% of the bottle may be the culprit in tests, as it happened in both tests (4 bottles) I had with that amount in them.

Anyone else have bottles almost gone giving higher readings than you think they should be?

kits.jpg

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
It's because the dissolved solids in test bottle #2 get concentrated. You really gotta shake the crap out of them everytime you use them or this will happen evertime you start getting to the end of a bottle. I usually bang the bottle against my hand for about a minute straight

VRWC

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2009
The 9ᵗʰ Colony
www.youtube.com
I always have done that but I guess not hard or long enough!

It's because the dissolved solids in test bottle #2 get concentrated. You really gotta shake the crap out of them everytime you use them or this will happen evertime you start getting to the end of a bottle. I usually bang the bottle against my hand for about a minute straight

Reactions: Bigfishnut
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store