Treating ich with nox-ich

Gibbz

Feeder Fish
Jul 26, 2017
Hello everyone I have a 55 gallon tank with 3 small oscars 1 parrot fish and an algee eater with ich white spots on them.i turned up the heater to 84 degrees treated them with nox-ich for 3 days and did a water change today. The fish are not looking too good still at the bottom of the tank and still have white spots on them but they are still eating when I feed them. I skipped a day so tomorrow is when im supposed to start the treatment again but im afraid they might not make it through the night.do I start the treatment again rite now or wait till tomorrow morning and hopefully their still alive??please help.thanks in advance

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Probably start today. It'll take time to kill everything as Patience is the key.

If still not better after refusing then add salt and keep the heat. Salt 1 tsp per gallon and repeat 12 hrs and again another 12hrs repeat the dose, total of 3tsp per gallon.

Add an airstone or powerhead to create some surface agitation.

There is no easy button.

Make sure you keep up ur water changes. Vacuum the gravel and ur water is pristine.

Reactions: tlindsey

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
It sometimes take at least 1 month to cure ick.
When the spots are on the fish, they are immune to treatment, it is only when the spots explode into hundreds of new ick that the young ick are vulnerable.
You need to continue treating for a couple weeks to rid the tank of all newly emerging ick.
And as stated, there are dormant ick in the substrate, so vacuuming and tossing out old water helps rid the tank of the dormant stage (also immune to treatment, until they hatch.

Reactions: kno4te

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
nox ich doesn't look like the best product ot there to be honest
Active Ingredients:
Sodium Chloride.....................0.50%

Malachite Green......................0.50%

I would either treat with high temps and do salt on your own (sodium chloride)
or purchase a malachite green and formalin product and be careful with heat
heat drives oxygen out of the water and formalin does as well so if keeping a warm tank you will need good circulation
we know formalin and malachite green have a synergistic effect on each other

Reactions: kno4te
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store