cigar barbs

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Picked up 3 of these little guys today (about 3" apiece). I've been meaning to get some for a while, the only thing stopping me was the fact that my 180 is probably just about comfortably stocked now and i didn't really want to over do it. Anyway, went to my LFS today for some bloodworm and there they were. I just had to get them. I've done some research on them before so i know that the water parameters are not critical, i know they're peaceful and that they can get big, i know they can be skittish and i know they are jumpers. Other than that is there anything else i need to know about these guys.

Reactions: vincentwugwg

vincentwugwg

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2013
New York Mets
Picked up 3 of these little guys today (about 3" apiece). I've been meaning to get some for a while, the only thing stopping me was the fact that my 180 is probably just about comfortably stocked now and i didn't really want to over do it. Anyway, went to my LFS today for some bloodworm and there they were. I just had to get them. I've done some research on them before so i know that the water parameters are not critical, i know they're peaceful and that they can get big, i know they can be skittish and i know they are jumpers. Other than that is there anything else i need to know about these guys.
You have most of it covered.. and you also know that they will eventually outgrow your 180. :) At the 22 second mark of this video.. my cigar barb appears.. he is about 18 inches and still growing

Last edited:

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
I know, there's just so many fish out there that i want but only so much space to put them in. It's a cruel hobby unless your names vincentwugwg, and then you can have what the hell you want!!! By the way what are those black and white fish with the horizontal bars, looks like you have a few of them, they're stunning.

Reactions: GamerChick5567

vincentwugwg

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2013
New York Mets
I know, there's just so many fish out there that i want but only so much space to put them in. It's a cruel hobby unless your names vincentwugwg, and then you can have what the hell you want!!! By the way what are those black and white fish with the horizontal bars, looks like you have a few of them, they're stunning.
I do believe you are referring to the Shortbodied J. Barbs...? More like dark olive/brown horizonatal bars over silvery backdrop with redish eyes?

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
i know they're peaceful and that they can get big
Not "can get big", WILL get big! ;)

I think you've pretty much covered it. The LFS has a couple in a big display tank when I was a kid, both around 2' long. I really liked them and when they got a little one in I grabbed it to go in my 150g with the black aro I'd just bought. It ate like a pig, to the point where I was struggling to get sinking pellets to the bottom of the tank for my catfish! It grew really quick (maybe because of all the food it was getting!) and I ended up moving it on after six months because I felt my tank wasn't going to be big enough.

Reactions: GamerChick5567

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Not "can get big", WILL get big! ;)

I think you've pretty much covered it. The LFS has a couple in a big display tank when I was a kid, both around 2' long. I really liked them and when they got a little one in I grabbed it to go in my 150g with the black aro I'd just bought. It ate like a pig, to the point where I was struggling to get sinking pellets to the bottom of the tank for my catfish! It grew really quick (maybe because of all the food it was getting!) and I ended up moving it on after six months because I felt my tank wasn't going to be big enough.
Yeah, i think most of us with average sized tanks end up moving a lot of fish on simply because they outgrow the tank, unless your vincent, he just gets bigger set ups! I'll end up moving these guys on eventually unless i can butter the wife up and go bigger. But at least i'd have had the experience of keeping them for a while.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store