2' Yellowcheek aka Elopichthys bambusa, 1 for 5 so far...

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I got 5 little yellowcheeks aka Elopichthys bambusa from Wesley Wong of Rare Fish in California back in Aug 2015 at ~1"-1.5". Tiniest wigglers.

Because they have a simple, straight gut and similar to perch and bass their metabolism is very quick, they require frequent feedings when small, which lessens with age but remains a factor to keep in mind. They have been easy to feed for me from the start. I give them catfish farm pellet (Zeigler Bros) and thawed marine baitfish. When they are relaxed, their appetite is superb but they stress way too easy.

Although they ate well and grew well, I still lost 3 over many months to unknown reasons, eating one day, dead the next. Perhaps I am guessing I lost them to too soft water or unstable pH (my water was largely RO water with a little hardness picked up here and there, KH and GH of a couple degrees). Fixed my water since then.

The two survivors did well in 240 gal and I tried three (!) times to introduce them into 4500 gal.

The first try in 4500 gal was about Nov-Dec 2016, when they were ~16"-17" and they lasted a week in there. They've not eaten while in there and apparently have been harassed around. Eventually I think my two ~14"-16" VATF started biting them badly and I fished them out half-alive with ~all fins damaged, lots of scales missing, and a few deep fleshy wounds near the tail. So I placed them back into their 240 gal. They are shy fish that never answer back, only try to swim away. They stress way too easy. They are exceedingly timid with other fish. They have no teeth, their jaws are aggressively shaped but very smooth.

They healed up well and thickened up a lot in a 240 gal for a few months and added on a few inches, reaching 18"-20", so I gave them a second try in 4500 gal this Feb 2017. The first day my smaller ~1'-1.5' mahseer were giving them hard time (they do it to all new comers by biting their fins, not that they can bite them off, so I am not sure what they are trying to accomplish) joined by a 10" dorado, so I stuck a large fish net in the tank overnight. They all respect the net (or are afraid of the newness it introduces) and stop their aggressive behavior, giving new fish a chance to adjust at the expense of the old population being a tiny bit stressed.

Still for 4-5 days the yellowcheeks have not eaten. The bodily damage was a lot less than the first time, actually tolerable except the tails were getting more tattered bit by bit. Even saw my lonely koi lunge at them. What??

240 Gal was a bit too tight for them already. When they beg for food they do it exceedingly energetically, often hitting the glass lids and splashing water out even with weights on the lids. They are great swimmers and need space. Regrettably, I've got nothing between 240 and 4500 gal for now.

I kept hoping that maybe once they get accustomed and comfortable in 4500 gal, or when they get bigger, they would turn. There still was no big damage to the pair, just the tails were getting more tattered. Then one started feeding and rather well! The other got a good size bite on its flank, and kept showing zero interest in feed. In a few days, despite having at least a 50% success, more or less, I removed both into their 240 gal.

The third attempt has been ongoing for the last couple of weeks, that's May 2017, when they both reached roughly 2' in 240 gal. The scenario has been playing out about the same as the second try - slightly bigger and thicker one was doing much better than the other. In the first week, I missed the point of no return when the weaker one's been harassed too much. Removed it to 240 gal tank but about half a day too late. In one day it died.

Thus, down to my last cheek, which is still swimming in the 4500 gal, coping with aggression ok, eating well. It's a challenge to feed though because it darts from all other more aggressively feeding and snappy tank mates - pima, aros, and pbass.

sunnysjourney sunnysjourney reported about the same observations, with which I concur ~ entirely. https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/...ys-bambusa-growout.674070/page-6#post-7680476 I was surprised that Sunnys' did well with the GATF for a tank mate. I did note the tail tips of his cheek have been always (?) bitten off. I suppose it's the GATF. My VATF do it to many fish. But if so, it didn't bother Sunnys' yellowcheek enough that it stopped feeding.

Be that as it may, some photos of my cheeks and the post mortum too:

100_7636.JPG 100_7639.JPG 100_7640.JPG 100_7640-1.JPG Yellowcheek 1.JPG Yellowcheek 2.JPG Yellowcheek 3.JPG

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Pictures of the survivor in the 4500 when you get a chance. Atleast you still have one, we still have hope lol. Sorry for the loss on the one but from the sounds of it, it may have been expected a little

Reactions: Chicxulub

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
Normally I look forward to and enjoy your updates victor, I'm sorry that is not the case with these. What a bummer to go through. Do you think the malachite green treatment was successful?

sunnysjourney

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2014
US
sunnysjourney sunnysjourney reported about the same observations, with which I concur ~ entirely. https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/...ys-bambusa-growout.674070/page-6#post-7680476 I was surprised that Sunnys' did well with the GATF for a tank mate. I did note the tail tips of his cheek have been always (?) bitten off. I suppose it's the GATF. My VATF do it to many fish. But if so, it didn't bother Sunnys' yellowcheek enough that it stopped feeding.
Firstly, I'm very sorry for your loss buddy. And yeah. I think that the yellow cheek I had fared better with an atf than yours manly because I had it with a Goliath. My 14" VATF constantly harasses my 13" armatus and any other fish that look remotely like itself. i did have the bambusa with my VATF for a day though. The tiger scats killed it way before the vittatus had a chance.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I appreciate the kind words, guys.

Pictures of the survivor in the 4500 when you get a chance. Atleast you still have one, we still have hope lol. Sorry for the loss on the one but from the sounds of it, it may have been expected a little
I'll try. Surely I knew I was gambling. Don't we all? I thought arrogantly that in case of serious problems I would be able to take them out in time as I had done before. Knowing what I know now, I'd leave both in 240 gal until at least 30". But that's gained experience talking.

Normally I look forward to and enjoy your updates victor, I'm sorry that is not the case with these. What a bummer to go through. Do you think the malachite green treatment was successful?
Perhaps I am cruel or have grown a hardened shell but I don't view it as only a bummer. It's a part of it but I aim to learn as much as possible with every fish I save or kill. Yes, the MG treatment took care of the fish scratching and flashing problem.

Firstly, I'm very sorry for your loss buddy. And yeah. I think that the yellow cheek I had fared better with an atf than yours manly because I had it with a Goliath. My 14" VATF constantly harasses my 13" armatus and any other fish that look remotely like itself. i did have the bambusa with my VATF for a day though. The tiger scats killed it way before the vittatus had a chance.
I think you may be quite right - as I have been reading in the recent thread on GATF and VATF compatibility, some say GATF is notably mellower. I didn't know that. I did see one of my biggest pbass snap at the cheeks too. I think it stopped that though.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
I hate those expensive learning curves. I also appreciate your record-keeping that will provide a successful formula for others to follow.

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
I'm guessing they may do well in a koi pond amongst kois.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I'm guessing they may do well in a koi pond amongst kois.
I believe they absolutely would do well with koi that they can't swallow. At 2', cheeks could barely handle a thawed 6" mullet. They didn't want to mess with such large fish at first but when no usual 3"-4" bait fish were thrown in their tank, they tackled the mullet fine. With or without mullet spines snipped off.

I am guessing full grown at 6' they could be able to swallow a 1' koi. Not that there is a chance of anyone growing out a cheek to their full potential but people can interpolate then. I mean at 3' a cheek could swallow an 8" koi I fathom... depending on how round that koi is. The thinner, the riskier. At 4', a 10"-er. Etc.

Other than that, they are exceedingly timid. They won't bother koi and koi shouldn't bother them to any worrisome degree as I am having right now.

My remaining cheek's tail is ever tattered and the splits are pretty deep. IDK how long it can handle that. It eats very well though, so I am hopeful still.

I also must note that cheeks heal too slow, compared to other fish, like catfish, way too slow. It probably had taken about 1.5-2 months for them to heal up their tails from the prior attempt in 4500 gal. I am not talking flesh wounds but splits in the tails and portions of the fin missing.

I am rather sure the damage is the work of VATF. Cheeks are superb swimmers, built for speed and as agile as ladyfish. Still no match for ATF, who are lightning fast when they want to be. Size is also a factor. At 2', my remaining cheek is more wary of hitting a wall. At 15"-16", my VATF have far more room, relatively, to maneuver.

Last edited:

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
The remaining cheek in the 4500 gal was getting pounded by the VATFs. They'd not let up. The tail was getting shorter and shorter and more tattered.

So I caught it and it went into an outdoor pond with all the koi and locals. ~20,000 gal.

Measured 27"-28" at transfer.

It's been about a week+ in the pond. I see it sometimes. Plenty of little fish to eat in there. Hope it survives and even thrives. When I move koi out, hope to catch it again and place it in the koi exhibit 50'x15'x5', when that is ready.

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Hope all goes well with it. Look forward o updates on this species

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store