My bold prediction.. Asian Arowanas will be legal in USA

MariaS

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2015
South Africa
Hahaha thanks Dieselhybrid Dieselhybrid ... I will keep updating so you can drool in the meantime!!
I do hope that one day your dream can come true..

J J. H. ... Its very hard to explain..

I have always liked big fish with personality and the Arowana was always a dream.. it's beauty.. majesty.. I think they magnificent... I guess we all have different tastes
I was always intrigued by the stories around their religious meaning to some Asian cultures but like many other religious beliefs, you listen.. respect them and life goes on.

However, now that I have owned one for nearly 2 years.. don't get me wrong.. I have no religious beliefs around the arowana however, I have come to understand why and what has led to this
I am not sure how they are in large numbers in ponds but I can tell you that a single Asian arowana in a tank inside your house.. becomes part of the family
Like I said.. you have to live with one to understand
She is majestic and she knows that.
The tank is in my lounge/dinning room, if I am sitting there, she will park dead still staring at me until I go to the tank.. not for food, she is not hungry.. for attention.
If I put my hand on the glass she rubs her body against your hand..

Hard to explain but if anything ever happens to Flash... I will be devastated...

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
I want what I can't have. That's it. Pure and honest. No sugar coating
A big reason why many people, myself included want and eventually get a lot of fish. I get this.

Their success is their own demise unfortunately.

Someone mentioned white clouds being gone in the wild, but they are smaller and commercially bred to the point where wild harvesting may not deplete populations if they are reintroduced
White clouds were said to be extinct in the wild, but I think a new population has been discovered. Their problem has nothing to do with the aquarium trade anyway, they are victims of habitat losses, a breeding program won't help them either. P. Saulosi,a mbuna, has been saved by releasing fish from the trade back into the wild, so it can work sometimes.

Hahaha thanks Dieselhybrid Dieselhybrid ... I will keep updating so you can drool in the meantime!!
I do hope that one day your dream can come true..

J J. H. ... Its very hard to explain..

I have always liked big fish with personality and the Arowana was always a dream.. it's beauty.. majesty.. I think they magnificent... I guess we all have different tastes
I was always intrigued by the stories around their religious meaning to some Asian cultures but like many other religious beliefs, you listen.. respect them and life goes on.

However, now that I have owned one for nearly 2 years.. don't get me wrong.. I have no religious beliefs around the arowana however, I have come to understand why and what has led to this
I am not sure how they are in large numbers in ponds but I can tell you that a single Asian arowana in a tank inside your house.. becomes part of the family
Like I said.. you have to live with one to understand
She is majestic and she knows that.
The tank is in my lounge/dinning room, if I am sitting there, she will park dead still staring at me until I go to the tank.. not for food, she is not hungry.. for attention.
If I put my hand on the glass she rubs her body against your hand..

Hard to explain but if anything ever happens to Flash... I will be devastated...
I get it, sort of, I have felt the same way about my big goldfish , although their grace is somewhat less than a silver or jardini's :) . I also get the bit about seeing on a screen is not seeing and seeing is not experiencing. Thank you.

Reactions: MariaS

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I would like a malay arowana if I can get my hands on one, or a gold xback asian.

Aros have all been collected pretty much, I doubt any reintroduction programmes will work

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I would like a malay arowana if I can get my hands o
Aros have all been collected pretty much, I doubt any reintroduction programmes will work
I think such programs would work if the many breeders of Asian aros could be persuaded to restock the waters with the offspring of the green aros that are in captivity...but there is no profit in doing that so I guess that won't be happening.

Reactions: MariaS

fishtankphil

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 24, 2014
USA
Hopefully the laws will change. Perhaps in my lifetime, hobbyists in the US will be able to house them legally without any fears of retaliation by a jealous hobbyist or law enforcement! There are many owners of these fish in the US, its just that very few ever showcase their fish in frear of losing it! Maybe one day the keepers can show pics and vids of their fish to others publicly. Time will tell.

runninlow

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2012
minnesota
Hopefully the laws will change. Perhaps in my lifetime, hobbyists in the US will be able to house them legally without any fears of retaliation by a jealous hobbyist or law enforcement! There are many owners of these fish in the US, its just that very few ever showcase their fish in frear of losing it! Maybe one day the keepers can show pics and vids of their fish to others publicly. Time will tell.
I PLUS 1 THIS!

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Already legal here lol

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Dream all you want but nothing is going to change unless there is something to be gained by whomever it is who is in position to make such decisions.If it's not going to line his pockets, further that person's career or make him look like some kind of hero then he has absolutely no reason to even entertain the matter.

MariaS

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2015
South Africa
Already legal here lol
They are legal here but as from (I think came into effect the 1st June) they have to come in with CITIES certificate so they can no longer come in without paperwork

Fortunately i demanded certificates for all 3 of ours when they came in although nothing has been ruled against those already in the Country

Reactions: J. H.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store