Direction of the hobby

robmcd

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2007
Laguna Beach
I just logged on for the first time in at least a year. I've been a member of MFK for nearly 11 years I think, and I've never seen it as inactive as I do now. I am also on FB and IG, and I'm friends with some of the folks from around the world that I've met here on FB. I'm still in the hobby and always have been, although I have scaled way back. That being said, I think that social media might be putting a damper on things here.

Reactions: FMA4ME and tlindsey

cmsbthebest

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2011
CA
Tbh I think MFK is dying.

I was very active on the forum in 2011-2012, and this place is literally a ghost town compared to how it used to be.

But I am currently active on another forum/board (won't name it here), and membership there has spiked up a ton over the past year or so. From about 50,000 to almost 100,000 members. It is way more active and I think more indicative of the current trend in fish keeping.

That current trend is for smaller, planted aquariums. Shrimp seem to be way more popular than they were, and people tend to be way more envious of beautiful 40 gallon tanks than 300 gallons that are filled with monster fish.

The hobby is strong, but it has shifted, and unfortunately, this site does not seem to be able to keep up.

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
This is the ONLY forum that fits my aquarium hobby. I'm into big fish, big tanks, and knowledgeable people to trade information with. I don't find any of these things on any other form of social media. I don't think MFK is dying at all. There will always be people interested in big expensive fish. There are more people interested in small tanks, small fish and shrimp. I'm absolutely ok with that. If everyone kept rays and aros I probably wouldn't be interested in keeping them myself. I think part of what being a monster fish keeper is all about is the uniqueness of it. For most people I know, I'm the only person they know who keeps fish measured in feet, and tanks measured in 100's of gallons....I like it that way

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
This is the ONLY forum that fits my aquarium hobby. I'm into big fish, big tanks, and knowledgeable people to trade information with. I don't find any of these things on any other form of social media. I don't think MFK is dying at all. There will always be people interested in big expensive fish. There are more people interested in small tanks, small fish and shrimp. I'm absolutely ok with that. If everyone kept rays and aros I probably wouldn't be interested in keeping them myself. I think part of what being a monster fish keeper is all about is the uniqueness of it. For most people I know, I'm the only person they know who keeps fish measured in feet, and tanks measured in 100's of gallons....I like it that way
I agree.

I'm currently a hybrid, having both a shrimp and a poly/oddball tank and I must say the bigger fish are better

Reactions: Bigfishnut

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
I think the forum is declining in general. Activity is down, quality posts are down in most forums, the noobs are out in force, and the veterans aren't particularly active. (Cough Cough SumoNinja SumoNinja ballinouttacntrol ballinouttacntrol )

As far as the hobby goes, the hobby itself is healthy but the focus is shifting quite dramatically.

Reactions: Renegade Aquatics

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
I agree.

I'm currently a hybrid, having both a shrimp and a poly/oddball tank and I must say the bigger fish are better
There's nothing wrong with keeping small fish and shrimp, I have hundreds of small fish and have kept several species of fresh and saltwater shrimp over the years...it truly takes a certain person to dedicate to keeping large fish. I'd rather the average aquarist not even attempt it!

Reactions: jaws7777

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
I don't get the whole shrimp scene myself. If you love it more power to ya. It's just not for me.
I want fish I can see from across the room.

Instead of yeah I swear there is a super red strawberry crystal shrimp on the back of that sponge filter right there. Lol

Reactions: J. H.

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
MFK has definitely slowed down. I remember getting pissed off that I would post and later that day my post is already on a 2nd or 3rd page because of so many other posts.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I don't get the whole shrimp scene myself. If you love it more power to ya. It's just not for me.
I want fish I can see from across the room.

Instead of yeah I swear there is a super red strawberry crystal shrimp on the back of that sponge filter right there. Lol
Mine are just on my desk right next to me, you can watch the whole life process and they breed with no extra effort. Plus it's constant work to cull and improve whatever strain you keep :)

Reactions: J. H.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store